1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius v P0A7A and P0A94

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WillyBoo, Jan 26, 2024.

1. WillyBoo

WillyBoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First posting and sorry if I mess anything up or am missing some detail.

Fiance's car is this 2013 Prius v, hybrid system quit working last night, a lot of lights on usual check engine and warning hybrid system and the like. Went to an autozone and had the codes read, (P0A7A and P0A94) saw that that was a not-uncommon thing with these cars. So I decided to take it to the dealer instead of a hybrid repair shop I had used before. They called me back and said the Prius v wasn't covered by that class action warranty and it'd be $6500.
    I looked a little more into it and I found the ZF5, which by all accounts looks like it covers it to me. and it took me to T-SB-0036-16. Reached back out to the tech and he said he'd have his manager look at it.
    he got back to me with T-SB-0003-21 Rev 1. which does explicitly mention Prius v, but the revision on February 2023 excludes the Prius v from the 15 year warranty. tsbsearch Toyota/T-SB-0003-21 (it wont let me post links but there is most of the URL)
    (end of second paragraph on "applicable warranty)

I'm confused how that works with this Customer Confidence Program Class Action Suit static.nhtsa.gov /odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10235232-9999.pdf

Am I just screwed? I know it's the inverter, (IPM) it seems that it was a big enough deal to have that extended warranty to 15 years and that's what ZF5 was about, the original TSB 0003-21 covered it, but the revision in Feb 2023 carved out the Prius v for some reason.

I'm just scared, poor, and looking for any help/advice

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agreed. Sure looks covered to me.

Tim Jones likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You don’t need the class action settlement. The Toyota program is fine.

Dealers make much more when you pay. It’s as simple as that. Thinking the service adviser is working in your interest is a mistake. They get a commission and Toyota Corporate requires no profit on the parts and a much lower labor rate.

Tim Jones and Air_Boss like this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The current details of the Toyota program are the ones they agreed to in the class action settlement.

Tim Jones and Air_Boss like this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since you've already been counter claimed twice by the dealer where your car is now, would you still give them your full trust ? Maybe they just don't want your business.

I'd call a few other dealers with your issue, while forgetting your TSB research so far and see if any of them can offer you a better solution initially without all the complicated TSB contradictions you've found.
    It's a learning experience and even if all the dealers you talk to all give you the brush off, there is still one last avenue you can try. Keep us in the loop.....

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The class action suit just adds rental car and towing plus 5 more years.

Air_Boss likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... which are all now part of the Toyota program, AIUI.

9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Regardless my v received the class action updates, instructions and opt out option.

Tim Jones likes this.
  10. WillyBoo

WillyBoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Update: I appreciate the responses and hope that my experience can help some others down the line.

Technician jerked me around saying it wasn't covered at all. I sent him the T-SB-0036-16 from May 2016. He came back with T-SB-0003-21 Rev 1 from Jan 2021, which supersedes T-SB-00360-16. in the "applicable warranty" box there is some language that says "Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) Warranty Coverage does not apply to Prius V" that is what he and his supervisors were hanging their hat on.

I asked for his supervisors names and found their emails on the website then sent them an email the next morning where I brought up the class action suit and it's website and showed them that if they used my VIN that I am a member of the class. As well as referenced the
    Customer Confidence Program and sent them the link to that document on the nhtsa that has the February, 2023 date. I got a call about 3 to 4 hours later saying that it all would be covered, but it would still take a couple days since they need to get parts shipped in.

The email I sent

"Dear Sirs,

I am emailing you both after I asked Jerry for his supervisors and he kindly provided your names.

While I understand the T-SB-0003-21 Rev 1 appears to have carved out the Prius v from the extended warranty regarding partial emission standards. I do sincerely believe this to be a covered warranty expense due to a class action lawsuit and the ensuing Customer Confidence Program regarding the IPMs over a several year period with the Prius and Prius v line.

The Customer Confidence Program that was a result of said class action suit, at the very least it requires someone to communicate with quality_confidence@toyota before denying it as a warranty claim to confirm I am ineligible.
    *link to the CCP*

If you choose to check my VIN against the class action lawsuit, you'll see that I am part of the class that is eligible.
    *link to the settlement website where you can type in your VIN*

Please let me know if I can provide any further information or if there is something that I seem to be missing.

Thank you very much..."

I once again thank you guys for your help and reassurance, and while I hope no one else is going to get jerked around, I'm sure they will and hopefully this will help.

Tim Jones, vvillovv and Air_Boss like this.
  11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Dealers make much more when you pay. It’s as simple as that.

It works for them most of the time.

Air_Boss likes this.
  12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Double-dipping is lucrative.

Tim Jones likes this.