1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Toyota Prius C Inverter coolant/radiator priming

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PRIUSrays, Oct 17, 2018.

1. PRIUSrays

PRIUSrays Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all, I am usually just hovering in the forums but yesterday I did a DIY change out of the radiator-cooling fan assembly . I have worked on my cars many times but this is the first thing that has gone wrong with my 2013 Prius C and I figured I would give it a try. After quite a bit of time I put the radiator and fan assembly back in and hooked everything back up. I filled the radiator as I would a regular car but with the pink toyota coolant(I did not know about filling the inverter resivor at all and it was pretty much dry) . Started the car back up and everything seemed fine for a quick time then my wife was in the car and said all the warning lights started flashing and the"hybrid system has malfunctioned,pull over and turn off car" or something like that. So I got on the forums and figured out about the inverter coolant system and filled it up but the hybrid message won't stop popping up. I read threads on here yesterday for a good 3 hours and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. It was not driven at all just started several times in the driveway and if I left it running too long i think it shut down by itself to protect itself. It was not on long each time. Can anyone explain to how to bleed this system and get the pump back pumping? I can't see fluid movement in the inverter resivor when I am starting the car and I am afraid I will damage something while fixing something else on the car. If anyone can help I would sure appreciate it as I can't even drive it to a shop now because of this and I was up all night worrying about it.Thanks a ton my Prius peeps.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This should technically be in the Prius c section, sub-forum for maintenance. I'll report it, and mods will probably move it there. But most people just check "New Posts" so in the interim you'll probably get responses.

There's videos by @NutzAboutBolts here regarding gen 3 Prius engine and inverter coolant changes:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Not sure how relevant they are to Prius c, but definitely worth watching.

PRIUSrays likes this.
  3. PRIUSrays

PRIUSrays Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks so much i will take a look,that was my problem yesterday. I was finding all kinds of stuff forfor other vehicles just not mine. I also googled like crazy trying to find anything at all. Hopefully some people will see this after it gets moved to Prius C sub by a mod after you reported it.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah again, I suspect most Priuschatters just look at the general pool of new posts, your visibility is fine in either location.

5. PRIUSrays

PRIUSrays Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just checking back in to see if anyone has had a chance to look this over and help out? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

6. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I know this is old, but if you forgot to put coolant in the inverter reservoir, the inverter probably overheated and got damaged.