1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 vs 2015

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Brevard Gent, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Brevard Gent

Brevard Gent New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi folks. I bought a new '13 and drove it more than 46K. Great car with no complaints. Mileage about 54 throughout my time with it with one 600 mile tank at 60 mpg. Florida seems to be about the ideal environment for these cars with no warm-ups from really cold and flat roads. Downside is 11 months of a/c and some short trips.

Bought a new 15 in December when I thought I got a reasonable deal on the new one. Since then, I've noticed. . .
    1. The mileage is off from the old car by 3-4. New one only has 2500 miles on it. The '13 had Escopia tires; the '15 has AVID. I drive it the same, which is conservative, not insanely hypermilegic.

2. The computer mileage is optimistic by more than 4 mpg. The old car was +3.2 in all but all highway when it was closer to the real mpg.

3. There's a whine in the car when decelerating from highway speeds without touching the brakes that was not there in the '13.

Anybody else have the opportunity for such a comparison, or noticed a whine in a '15.

2. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on your new 2015, and welcome to Priuschat!

Perhaps your lower mileage is attribute to an engine that is still breaking in. Also have heard on these boards that the tires may need to break in too. I would wait until 10K miles or so to get a better mileage assessment. I can't speak for your 2015's whine when coasting (decelerating). When coasting, the regenerative brakes do kick in slightly. What happens when you put it in N? That will take the regenerative brakes out of the equation. My 2013 does not whine when I coast.

Best of luck!

3. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I haven't noticed a whine in my '15.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! the inverter can whine. idk if it varies from car to car. i don't think it's an issue, mpg or otherwise. maybe it's the tyres. are you measuring at the fill up and averaging?

5. Brevard Gent

Brevard Gent New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the good information. I'll wait for a few more tanks to draw conclusions about mileage and try putting it neutral to see if that makes the whine go away.

Bay Stater likes this.
  6. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe it is the tires. I found lower mileage in a change for Hydroedge to AVID tires on my 2004 Prius. I was happy to get Ecopia on my 2013 PiP when zooming in on dealer's online pictures usually show AVID.

Bay Stater likes this.
  7. Coach

Coach New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to Prius Chat. My 2015 does not whine while coasting or otherwise.

8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe the Avids are quieter than the Ecopias, and you're now hearing sounds that were masked by the road noise before. On my '13 I hear no whining with the Ecopias though.

iPhone ?

9. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do have a whine in my 2015 Prius

10. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Usually Toyota puts good LRR MIJ tires on their new vehicles. No mileage difference between EP20s and the Goodyear Assurance fuel max MIJs. The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is.

42 PSI