1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 base with 169k miles? Yes or no

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Goodsteward, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Goodsteward

Goodsteward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a nice 2014 prius 2 with 169,000 miles for 7500 tax and all. Is it general a good idea to buy this high a mileage or no?

Alternate was a 2011 prius 3 with 144,000 miles for 6500 tax and all. It has a little front and rear bumper damage Appears to have been in an accident, but carfax only reports damage, not an accident.

Either worth it?

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would go for the 2014. Prii, like many new cars are more of a time than miles. Generally Prii can do 10 years without any major issues.

Johnny Cakes and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. plan on a new $3,000. battery just in case. and it is a good idea on any gen3 to clean the egr circuit/intake manifold, and install an oil catch can. does it burn any oil?

m.wynn and RMB like this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Neither. First one has too many miles second one is too sketchy. Keep shopping around.

m.wynn and Goodsteward like this.
  5. StevefromOhio

StevefromOhio Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    169K is just getting broke in. Have a mechanic check it out....read the codes. Will have to have some maintenance done like fluid changes and such. A Prius can do half a million easy.....many NY taxis are out with 300K to 500K miles. They are designed to last.
    As far as batteries go.....New solid state upgrades are coming soon. Cheaper and way better. 5 minute or less charge times and 500 miles on a charge easily. They are on the horizon and will be available.

6. Goodsteward

Goodsteward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the replies. I've decided to just wait.

I'm back to square one. I did test drive these (first time driving a Prius) and I do like them. I'm just scared of the issues that often fail and cost 1/3 to a 1/2 the value of them to fix. My desire is a really good MPG car, but under 7-8k. I kept creeping up into newer and pricier cars in my research like newer compacts that get near 40mpg or better, without hybrids. That put me in the near 10k-12k financed range. I have a 2015 Sienna I just got last August that I have a nice loan and payment on already. I do not want another major payment (that may not be a major payment to some, but I highly value my cash flow and that $440 Sienna payment hurts bad already).

My original plan was a $2-3k car that I'd just throw on a 0% card and pay off in 6 months, but now I just don't know what to do. I understand I need to put out more money to get a more reliable car, but at what expense? High mileage? High risk(hybrids)? I just don't know what is best. I'll keep driving my 99 oil eatin Camry for now. At least the AC works. lol I'm in GA, so that's a big deal. The last time I got a car for me was four years ago. It was a 2007 higher milage Avalon. I always wanted one, but ended up getting a lower end model with high mileage, and never being happy with it. I gave into the discount and accepted the higher mileage. Now, my parents have it, and it works fine except I had to help them replace the evaporator coil and fix an oil leak. $2200 repair when I still owed 4k on it. I just don't want to end up having a car on payments at 200k miles AGAIN. I'm done doing that....

#6 Goodsteward, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  7. PokerMunkee

PokerMunkee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you not afraid to work on cars? If not, get a Honda 2.3 for under 2k. I drive a 1998 Accord EX 2.3 5 speed manual 3 days a week and get 37mpg. I just replaced the clutch and oil pan gasket myself at 245k miles but I enjoy working on it. If you have a spare car it's not end of the world if ts on jack stands for a week or two while you find time to fix it when stuff breaks.

That being said, the Prius is a much nicer car. I only wish I had gotten a 2012 with auto headlights and audio bluetooth. I financed my 2011 with 90k miles for 66 months at 4.3%, $1k down and $150/month. Cheap and helping build my wife's credit