1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Car Complaint Index - Toyota Prius #8 - Ouch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SudeepHArya, May 21, 2014.

1. SudeepHArya

SudeepHArya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure how they got this data but I am not sure if I am happy buying my 1 month old Prius anymore

The 2014 Car Complaint Index

2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not sure I understand what determines the "complaint index ratio."

#complaints/#cars sold ??

or...?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a strange article in it stating "projected complaints". I guess it's just a bunch of lawyers that are looking for work.

Merkey likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I've owned my standard Prius for almost exactly one year...in fact this might be it's "birthday". And I can tell you I'm still happy buying my Prius.

Your fuelly signature suggests you are getting 61+ MPG....I'd be happy with that.

And The Prius has a great reputation as a reliable vehicle.

But if one vague, unsubstantiated "complaint" index is going to have you already unhappy? Maybe you should think about a rapid change to something not on that list?

As for me? I'm going with my personal experience. So far? The Prius itself has been a bullet.

But really? If you already have doubts? And are actively looking on the internet for Prius Complaints, then perhaps you haven't picked the right vehicle for yourself.

5. SudeepHArya

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Hmmm, not sure where you are assuming I am looking for complaints this was brought to my attention from a co-worker who knew I just brought a Prius. I did not realize my message would be scrutinized by you and I now need to defend myself on a concern I have.

The goal was to open this concern up for discussion not to be told I should look for an alternate car. I bought the car based on what I thought was a good and wise decision. I had thought this would be something fruitful to add to the forum.

hybridbear likes this.
  6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 06 and a 14 and have never looked back. I have had weird things happen but it was always something of my making:eek: h

7. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can see the complaints on the NTHSA web site. Click on "File a Complaint" then click on "Search for...." in the left side menu. Lots of crash related complaints. I looked at 2012...there was a total of 88 complaints. Seems to me to be very few in relation to the cars sold.

hybridbear likes this.
  8. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm such a bliss ninny that I would not even know how to interpret that anyway, so unless my own Prius punks out on me, I'm good.

9. JonWaters

JonWaters Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder what they are complaining about and if it is related to the 2014 model year. I just (end of March) traded in my 2011 model 2 for a 2014 model 4 and added only 2 yrs to my payments and $50/month thanks to the zero percent interest deal and am loving every mile! Jury is still out on the Softex seats but so far so good. They are certainly much more comfortable with the power functions and heat. I think we own one of the best motor vehicles available and certainly the best value.

10. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As with most of these surveys they are pretty much loaded. It's the art of comparing Horses to Apples. What they ultimately come up with, is Horse Apples. You need to take the results with a grain of salt. Sprinkle it liberally on those Horse Apples.

Peter Dayeh and hybridbear like this.
  11. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I value the information and insight I gain from PriusChat about a 100% more than anything negative I read anywhere else. We're real users and most aren't shy about revealing their true feeling whether pro or con. Comments here can be quickly challenged. Don't let the information you referenced unnecessarily ruin your Prius relationship.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3 pri, 10 years, zero complaints. but no one asked.:rolleyes:

hybridbear likes this.
  13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with friendly_jacek ...that site has no credibility with me at all. I have no idea what this list means. In this case I give a shout-out to Consumer Reports as the another leader in reporting reliability. There is no model year change for Prius in 2014 so whatever CR has said from 2o1o on for Gen3 applies, and 2012 for Plug_in version. You know NJ is a litigious state.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The site belongs to some attorneys, and I'm not seeing this supposed 'Index' backed up anywhere else.

Even the supposed source, Jack Gillis's Center for Auto Safety, shows no reports or links mentioning this 'Index' or anything to back it up. It does have a tab to view complaints filed, but looking up many models there finds problems with this law firm 'Index'.

Numerous other outlets, including the Truedelta link above, and Consumer Reports, show quite different results.

I wouldn't question my happiness with a car based solely on a web site of a single product liability law firm, unsupported by the many other available ratings outlets.

16. SudeepHArya

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great points I also feel this is the best site to speak about our Prius experience as a new owner and 1st Toyota I am proud to see I have joined a family of passionate Prius owners.

Thank you as always for the valuable information provided on this fprum

17. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The "complaint index ratio" concept makes sense to me, but what's missing from Jack Gillis's data are the millions of GM vehicles recently recalled. Those recalls would certainly have been fed by thousands upon thousands of consumer complaints. Why is there only 1 GM (cadillac) car in the list?!

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a difference between "data" and "facts"
    My company uses Prius as fleet vehicles. They're not what you would call 'lovingly' maintained, and they're being driven by people that don't have pay for them.
    I haven't been seeing them break at all, and my own car has only failed to leave the lot one time in 65,000 miles when the 12v (aux) battery failed at 24k.
    There's a lot of data out there, and anybody who listens to the Sunday talk show programs will see people doing some pretty unfortunate things with "numbers".

If you're still unconvinced and wondering whether or not you should be happy, then I can assure you that it won't take very many filling station visits in whatever you replace the Pip with to realize how happy you are with it. :)

19. randommonks

randommonks Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This could be used as a lesson against ever trusting or giving credence to a website with a clear agenda. This is a site run by a law firm that specializes in lemon law lawsuits. They then put up a list of "projected" complaints using an index that they neither explain what it means or how they calculated it. I honestly doubt they know what it means themselves but figured it would look impressive to people by using big numbers. I hope the book they claim to have pulled that data from explains the meaning better than they have.

I can't speak to the longevity of the Prius but I can speak to the longevity of a 1998 Toyota Camry that my family has had up until a few months ago- single owner with very few issues throughout the 16 years we had it. I expect this Prius to hold up just as well with maybe a battery pack change in the meantime somewhere along the lifespan (thanks Texas sun!).

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anytime you post "almost" anything on the internet it's going to be scrutinized. If you don't want scrutiny, don't post.

And my suggestions...are part of discussion...unless you were simply looking for direct agreement.

I stand by what I said, which is IF after only 1 month of ownership, with only a vague "complaint index" that becomes enough to make you unhappy with your Prius purchase? Then perhaps you should consider making a vehicle change.
    I can only respond to what you are saying. And I think with a new car purchase, life's too short to NOT be happy with it. And if that is all it takes to get you worrying? ....well god forbid you actually have a problem.

I think the feedback you are getting NOT unexpectedly rather uniform, that is the great majority of personal experience as far as reliability and Prius Ownership very positive.

Did you not do research BEFORE buying your Prius?

Also, I'd REALLY ignore a jealous co-worker that is "helpfully" offering negative website links to the vehicle you just purchased.

Not just my post...but most responses thus far seem to question the validity of the index, as well as support the overall reliability of The Prius.

I have absolutely nothing against "Prius Criticism". I harbor no intrinsic desire to have to believe my personal vehicle is perfect or unassailable from a critical standpoint.

But if someone comes into a Prius enthusiasts website, and posts a link to questionable data, and then proclaims they aren't sure now they are happy with their purchase....based only on that?

What responses do you expect?

I DID research Prius before buying. I was aware of it's reliability reputation before purchasing.

And I in good conscious cannot really give you any answer but that I would pretty much ignore this "helpful" co-workers links to negative Prius information....and if you can't? And it really worries you? Then perhaps a vehicle change is in order. Because (as should be expected) at Prius Chat, the overwhelming opinion is going to be that The Prius is a reliable vehicle that can be easily enjoyed. If one link, already has you NOT enjoying your purchase, and/or really worried about reliability?....well only you can decide for yourself how to react.