1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 CVT Fluid Change Concern

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Pint, May 18, 2016.

1. Pint

Pint New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am a "new" Prius owner! I recently bought a 2014 Prius 3 and love it. It had 44K when I bought it and I've already put 4K on it in the last month. The old fluid was pretty black when I drained it so I'm glad I did! My question is how much ATF does the CVT hold? I've read 4 quarts, but also 4.3L? I changed the fluid with the front wheels up on ramps and am not sure how much came out. However, I was barely able to get 3 quarts back in?? Could this be due to the angle of the ramps? They lifted the front of the car approximately 8". Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The vehicle needs to be level front -back and side - side, if its elevated in front it will leak out before accepting the proper fill.
    When I change mine I use ramps under the front tires and jack/ jack stands for the rear.

And I make sure my mothernlaw is not visiting lest she kick the jack stands out and lower the jack in the middle of my drain/fill.

#2 IMkenNY, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    xliderider, Rebound and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Per the Service Manual...with the vehicle level...3.3 liters (3.5 US qts, 2.9 lmp.qts) with fluid level between 0 to 10 mm (0 to 0.394 in.) from the lowest position of the inner surface of the transaxle filler plug opening.

4. Pint

Pint New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dang...that was I was afraid of! Guess I need to get out my jack. I don't want to kill this thing due to fluid deprivation! FWIW - I'm using Redline D6 ATF.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You wanted Toyota ATF WS, but I would not bother to drain out the other.

6. Pint

Pint New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know Toyota recommends the Toyota WS ATF. I have always had great luck in other vehicles with Redline products and have read good things from other Prius owners. Hopefully as will be good.

7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WS would be the safest bet. Does Redline specifically claim its D6 can substitute for WS in a Prius? In the Castrol applications book at Advance Auto, I noticed Castrol claims one of its ATF recipes (I don't recall its name.) can.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ATF is frequently used as a lubricant/coolant in mechanical transmissions, in the Prius it also needs to be an insulator, as the 650 volt Motor/Generators are bathed in it to cool them. I suspect very few brands are tested to be insulators. (they may be good insulators, but are not tested as such) This is also why I recommend changing the ATF, any suspended solids will reduce their insulating properties. My favorite interval is 30,000 miles than 90,000 miles then every 90,000 miles.

9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would take the car to a good independent and put the correct Toyota fluid in it. My local guy charged me very little to do the transaxale along with the engine oil -- they did them together

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The fill bolt is towards the rear, so with a front to rear down-slope, you've underfilled a bit. If you were using Toyota ATF-WS I'd say just raise and level it, and do a top up. But:

Toyota doesn't "recommend" Toyota ATF-WS, it strongly cautions to not use anything else. Considering their tone, and the transaxle being more-or-less unique, this is one time I definitely don't want to be a rebel.

There's other owners here using alternate fluids, but if it was me, say I'd just acquired this vehicle and learned it was freshly filled with Redline fluid, I'd treat it as contaminated fluid:

1. drain and fill with Toyota ATF-WS
    2. drive, then drain and fill
    3. drive, drain and fill.

Taking 3.5 quarts per, that'll be 9 quarts, maybe get 10, for insurance.

Bolt torque is 29 ft/lb.

11. Pint

Pint New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks all. I used my ramps for the front and jacked up the rear which allowed me to fill the CVT to the proper level. I'm going to roll the dice and stick with the Redline D6 ATF. A good friend has been running it in his 3rd generation Prius for 150K with no issue. FWIW - the Redline bottle states it is good for Toyota WS/AW-1.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's the standard home mechanic way, right?
    Next time I do this, I'm going to tape a bubble level to my car door using blue painter's tape. That way, when I jack up the rear of the vehicle, I can be sure that it's level.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I prefer safety stands all around. Don't like putting them at the scissor jack locations though, put them close by to those loc's, on reinforced spots on the underbody.

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Definitely, but with the front on ramps, you only need the two jack stands in back.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Uhm, yeah. :ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry, coffee kicking in. Ramps actually freak me out. Haven't used them in about 30 years, found them a bit too exciting, prefer the slow and steady of floor jack, especially in confines of a garage.

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ramps and the incidence of product liability lawsuits have changed over the years. I'm sure that most modern ramps are much safer than the ramps of years past. ;)

FWIW, I'm not too comfortable with the front jackstand locations, seems like a lot of weight (engine/transaxle) dangling off the jackstand pivot point. So I keep the floor jack under the front jack point, with a partial load on it, plus the front jackstands.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is where I put front safety stands. Picture is showing driver's side, looking towards rear:

image.jpeg

I use a similar strong point on the rear location, but the load is a lot less, not as critical.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use the same locations in the front, but the frame still "creaks" when the car is lowered onto the jackstand, very unsettling. Still leave the floorjack under the front jack point for peace of mind. Then I release the front jack partially so that all three (floorjack + two jackstands are taking partial loads).

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good idea, I just find the jack's in my way too much. And yeah, you can see the car underside go from convex to concave, along the length, as the load transfers from jack to safety stands, there's definitely some flex.

For piece of mind I push a section of tree stump under, just back of the engine bay.

20. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wrong way for lifting a vehicle

[​IMG]

Mendel Leisk likes this.