1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Honda Accord Plug-In site Live, Available in CA, NY

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cycledrum, Jan 15, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Site just went live this morning on Honda.com as Jan 15th was supposed to be first day this goes on sale.

"The Accord Plug-In will begin a rolling release on January 15, 2013, to participating dealers in California and New York."

2014 Honda Accord Plug-In Overview - Official Site

$39,780 starting price. Nav and tons of tech, except no leather, has bio-fabric seats (derived from sugar cane).

6.7kWh Li-Ion battery, 13 mi EV range, 47/46/46 thereafter on 2.0L gas engine, 3,799 lb curb weight, 8.6 cu ft trunk :cautious:

I hope it can get near 46 cause the regular Accord is rated at 36 Hwy.

"MPG
    How about an all-electric commute? When your Accord Plug-In is in EV mode, you not only have a staggeringly efficient vehicle (rated at 124 MPGe), but you can also drive up to 10 miles without using a drop of gas. And when you do use gasoline, the Accord Plug-In remains efficient with an impressive 46-mpg highway rating. Charge 'er up and fill 'er up, and you should find a total driving range in excess of 500 miles.

Earth Dreams Engine
    Thanks to the brilliant engineers at Honda, driving the Accord Plug-In feels a lot more like driving an Accord than it does a hybrid electric. That's because of the 2.0-liter, 16-valve i-VTEC®4-cylinder engine and the electric motor fed by a high-capacity/high-output lithium-ion battery pack. They're all channeled through a continuously variable transmission for a combination of efficiency and performance like never before."

"California residents who purchase or lease an Accord Plug-In are eligible for a California state rebate of $1,500.A federal tax credit of $3,334 is available for purchase of an Accord Plug-In. If you lease the Accord Plug-In from Honda Financial Services, the tax credit will be used to reduce the transaction price on the lease"

2. acdii

acdii Active Member

Same with the Fusion Energi, you can build and price it now on the web site, and order through the dealers.

cycledrum likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't this Honda's first 'full' (non-mild) hybrid for sale ever?

4. acdii

acdii Active Member

Hope it does well what ever it is.

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Seems like a lot of money to me. I think these guys need a lower MSRP if they want to sell cars beyond the few Lucky Lou's. 40K and no leather seats. I can get a base PIP for what 31K with a 10 mile range.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Lets just say $40k and they put fabric seats (I could care less they are bio fabric) in the car instead of leather... Tsk, tsk.

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just saying that 40K is the Luxury Car Buyer threshold who is used to Luxury leather seats etc. I know a few ecological driver's accept Sugar Kane Fabric seats but 40K is a big price for an Accord. Perhaps it's me but Honda who is not doing well in the Hybrid sales area lost a great opportunity with this car. It is close to the PIP Advanced sales price and that is not selling as well as the PIP Base. EV is a price sensitive product now. I predict this will be a lack luster sale but for the sake of EV evolution I hope I'm wrong.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really tough to see that car getting 46 MPG hwy ... they didn't do a TBD on curb weight. Sayin 3,800 lbs :eek: ok, 3,799. Now we wait to see Cons Reports and all.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if it has more tech options than PiP advanced, but it has a lot of tech - forward collision warn, Lane departure, lanewatch for blind spots, Nav, rear cam guidelines, Smartapps, blah, blah.

but yeah, fabric seats .... they're only good if you can throw them in the washing machine :eek: how many people clean their clothes by wiping them while still wearing them? show of hands ...

Checked out the wheelcovers in SJ and they're a tad foogly, but hey they're only wheelcovers.

It is a nice looking car overall. Ya'll know I kinda like the Accords << duh ...
    4-doors that is. Down with 2 doors :p

10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Year Ok, but a EV-10 at a EV-40 price.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could sorta make that case against PiPa. EV-40 has no power seat which it needs.

Honda lanewatch feature seems good. Flip on turn signal and display shows blind spot.

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    40K that should have been in the Acura TLX badge with yes Leather Seats.

13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well they always have the Civic but not EV10 just plain Hybrid. Maybe it's me I always expect more for less. :)

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I predict that the Gen 4 Prius will have a EV-40 car and the same price as the Gen 3 EV-10 aka PIP. Just an educated guess but that is the sweet spot now for consumers. Consumers are already balking the price premium is to steep and Honda goes higher. That is why Toyota is dumping reserch money into lower cost batteries. When car manufactures offer something for a premium that is available for less $ ( Pip Base) 31K, and try and add a few tech options it smells of Failure. Again just my opinion what do I know. Prius has nothing to fear with this Accord EV launch. That is my guess.

15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it was a Accord EV-40 at 39K they have a chance with competing with the Volt Guys who are doubling sales year over year. But a EV-10 at a EV-40 price they don't have a snow ball chance in the summer Arizona desert chance to succed. Wonder if Honda did it's homework on this one?

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They sell so many Accords, Civics and CR-Vs they can afford to experiment. In motorcycles , they have big sellers like Gold Wing, CBRs, VFR ... then they produce a weird bike like DM-1 (which came and went). They put out 'different' stuff sometimes like Ridgeline.

I think Honda is serious about joining the 'full' hybrid party with upcoming Accord Hybrid (not plugin) and I think they will try hard to go up against Camry, Fusion, Sonata, etc... hybrids....

Look at Camry hybrid now ... it's almost 39 MPG average fuelly.com MPG avg seems to have gone up over 4 MPGs between 1st and 2nd gen.

40 MPG average midsize hybrid trunked sedans sized like Accord, Camry, etc.... that's a good benchmark cause those conventionals have been hanging around 28 ish MPGs for yeeeaaarrss.

Jeff N and JMD like this.
  17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed but 46/47 MPG on this Hybrid Portion is very good for a big car. But for the price I can get 2 CRZ Hybrids.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Edit above. Was speaking of the upcoming Accord non-plugin hybrid coming mid-year

19. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  20. david_cary

david_cary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't really think a straight up comparison to a PIP is fair. This is likely a fantastically quiet large car that will be much faster than a PIP.

JMD likes this.