1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Mini Cooper spy photos caught test - Car and Driver

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    First of all, I'm not sure how they figure this is an authentic/genuine BMW Mini Hybrid test vehicle. However, because it's from Car and Driver, I hope that by putting their reputation on the line in spreading correct/false rumors, they have identified this as a genuine BMW Mini test vehicle.

2014 Mini Cooper Hybrid Spy Photos

1 person likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awd hybrid MINI = nice. FWD 1 Series? wow... I think I just puked. The Ultimate Driving Machine!

If BMW can pull off that kind of packaging in a car like the MINI, I'm sure Toyota can pull it off with a Prius. A 4WD-i Prius would be perfect for those of us in snow/ice country. It might take an mpg hit due to extra weight but hopefully not too much.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever happened to active suspension? I recall Lotus working on this years ago. It sounded promising at the time, but it was probably banned from racing, and proved too expensive for production.

And for the ultimate in traction, I wonder if car makers could learn something from railway locomotive design. Diesel electric hybrids have been around for a long time, and they put down some incredible horsepower with nary a slip.

5. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  6. studioRS

studioRS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, this appears to be true. Motoringfile has the scoop on it.

7. studioRS

studioRS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is a great idea, and now an owner of a 2011 Prius would even consider upgrading my 2006 MINI Cooper S to this.

8. studioRS

studioRS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An AWD hybrid MINI would be an amazing hoot to drive also! I get enough kicks with my FWD in the snow now (excuse the multiple posts, just trying to get my count to 5 so I can post a photo)!

9. studioRS

studioRS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, here we go...

[​IMG] 
    This isn't the MINI, but BMW Efficient Dynamics hybrid system seen in the photo

See http://www.motoringfile.com
    More photos here http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-shots-mini-cooper-hybrid-with-awd

My daily driver is a 2006 MINI Cooper S and I was waiting to see when BMW/MINI saw the hybrid light, hopefully they will put it into production.

Just bought a 2011 Toyota Prius Two, blue ribbon this last weekend for the wife. Replaces her 1995 Audi S6 with 210,000 mi on the clock.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hmmmmmm -
    There's a handfull of (so-called) EV-mini's running around the landscape. Lease only, so they can be taken back some day - and, they were "gliders" sent to the conversion shop ... thus - not really a factory mini. No room for batteries, they had to ditch the back seat, in order to have a snowball's chance of any real world driving range.
    So now, you're down to 2 seats ... and besides batteries, you want to add some kind of HSD, AND an ICE? Will it too, be ($850.00) another 'lease-only', like the EV-Mini? Will it be another after market-glider project? ... or a true "from the ground up" mini cooper. Good for them, if they can make it all work.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think people will go for a system that requires sand refilling.

12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The bmw rumors are about fwd z2 and a 0 series. BMW is pressing against the new european mileage requirements, and the only way they can see hitting the numbers is smaller fwd cars. I don't think we need to worry about the 3,5,and 7 going fwd. It would be cool if they put in a rear engined hybrid like their prototypes.

The phv prius would only need some software and an additional electric motor on the rear axle. It would add very little weight and increase acceleration and regenerative braking. I don't think Toyota really will build it because it will increase the price.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What type of active suspension?

I was just thinking it as I was reading that thread (it came up before this one in the New Post)

Well MB and Audi have FWD cars, I guess it was only a matter of time before BMW jumped on board.

I suppose but a typical AWD system is $1,500-$2,000 more in Canada.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That is about the step up lexus charges on the RX450h to go from 2wd to 4wd. I think in the standard prius, the engine isn't powerful enough to provide energy for 4wd without a bigger battery buffer. I think they could do it with the prius phv and it might also provide for better fuel economy. In the gen 4, toyota could easily design it in, as bmw seems to be doing.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But the question is power vs. mpg. I've always though the 1.5 litre was "adequate", part of the 'just enough" philosophy that endowed the Gen 2 Prius. The 1.8 litre in the Gen 3 gives it a bit more oomph but doesn't stray too far (i.e. excessive power that will rarely be used). I would prefer if the Prius didn't go to 2.0 litre the next round. 1.8 litre is plenty (esp. if ICE technology involves to get more power per drop of fuel. DI seems to bump hp but not so much torque. This can be supplemented in a hybrid by the battery. I'm surprised it wasn't included in the Gen 3 (cost?) as well as dual VVT-i.