1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius 3 Left Side of Instrument Cluster Not Lit Up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LittleRed1, Sep 29, 2018.

1. LittleRed1

LittleRed1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all,
    I was driving my 2014 Prius 3 w/105,000 miles, when I noticed the cruise control would not engage.
    A little later in the drive, the left side of the cluster was out. Outside temp was about 68 degrees F, and was about 1.5 hours into drive, when cruise quit working. Noticed the cluster failure about 2 hrs, into drive, which was about 15 mins. from home. I was hoping it was the 12v battery going bad, because it's original. I disconnected cables to 12v battery, and hooked up my Genius G3500 smart charger. The Genius did not indicate any defect w/battery, and had it fully charged in about 35 minutes. After reconnecting cable, I started the car, but still no left side cluster. That was yesterday, so today I put a DMM on the 12V battery, and got 12.59 volts. Did Toyota not upgrade the combination meter, with so many defective in Gen 2's? Is this problem as rampant in Gen 3's now? I can do the replacement myself, but do not know the best place to purchase one. Can someone provide a reputable place or two? Thanks in advance!

2. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Himmm. I have heard of right cluster not showing up before and that was due to 12volt battery.
    Never heard of left cluster malfunction alone.
    Hope someone would chime in.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just to get the obvious out of the way:

The dimmer switch isn’t down and nothing is blocking the projector, as the left side is fed from below?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very good point about projecting. I believe my Gen 4 is direct display.

6. LittleRed1

LittleRed1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prodigyplace, thank you for the info!

Raytheeagle, thank you for the dimmer suggestion. I have done dumber, but that's not the problem now.

Also, I have, in the past had hotel/resort parking tags block the projector.

I will keep investigating, and using my Waze for speedo.

Thanks guys!

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ... which means that a small piece of paper resting on the dash just below left the left side of the display gives the illusion that the display is dead. I know because I scared myself that way once.