1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius C drivers side door lock actuator. Any suggestions on where to purchase a replacement?

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by DaveAspi, Jun 13, 2022.

1. DaveAspi

DaveAspi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I’ve already taken the panel off, removed inspected, even smacked it with a hammer a few times ;). Tries to click but it just can’t quite do it. All of my other door locks are working fine with the remote. Any know tricks? Where would you suggest getting a replacement? Also, has anyone programmed one to work with their current remote? Is this an issue?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No programming required, the the actuator is just muscles, does whatever the wires tell them. All the brains/radio stuff is elsewhere.

Toyota charges a lot for their own actuators but several members have reported that the aftermarket no-name replacements from eBay are good parts. I have not had to swap any yet.

Good luck!

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My experience with eBay actuators (shopping for a Gen 1 though) can be seen in this thread, which also contains similar experience by other buyers at the same time (see the posts leading up to and following the one I linked to).

TL;DR it was 1 for 4 overall; in a sample of four actuators purchased, there was one non-defective one for the driver's side, and zero non-defective for the passenger side.

Their motors worked; they would lock and unlock the door. Otherwise, customers would have immediately noticed the defect. The defect was in one of the status feedback circuits, something not everybody would test. It would make the car alarm misbehave (and, in a Gen 1, also the feature controlling the driver's window with the key), but if you didn't notice that till the month after changing the actuator, you might just think "darn, something's wrong with my alarm" and not connect it to the eBay actuator you installed.

Disassembling the defective ones showed they weren't just slightly out of tolerance or something, but had been built completely missing an internal electrical contact that was supposed to be there.

Multiple eBay sellers had inventory with the same defect. When I wrote one of them with a simple multimeter test for the specific problem, he wrote back that he had discovered his entire inventory had the problem, and he took down the listing.

It's possible that individual sellers in his position didn't know any better, and were all getting their inventory from some larger distributor. It would be hard to find evidence one way or another. It seemed likely that the larger distributor knew the inventory was defective, possibly a large run off a production line before a problem was caught, and being sold off on eBay to avoid eating the cost. If one individual eBay seller took down his listing, the same merchandise seemed to find its way to other sellers. (Or maybe the same seller's other eBay account; hard to tell from the outside.)

Caveat emptor. The prices can be good enough that even if you have to order four to get a working one, you could still be ahead. But to make that work out, it is best to study the wiring diagram and plan out a way that you will test all of the unit's motor and sensor functions on the bench, before going to the trouble of putting it in the car. Otherwise, your labor eats into the price advantage.

#3 ChapmanF, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  4. DaveAspi

DaveAspi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Good to know! Thank you.

5. DaveAspi

DaveAspi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

6. DaveAspi

DaveAspi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Excellent information. Thanks for including the link. The actual removal of the defective actuator was quite simple. Now to research getting the replacement. Surprisingly, BOTH front actuators were not working, but when I put the PS back in, it starting working again! Not so lucky with the DS.