1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius C Hybrid Battery not helping the engine

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Yeoldman, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Yeoldman

Yeoldman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Base
    Hello everyone, I recently lost my 2012 Prius C Base and just got a used 2014 Prius C Base. My old Prius was great on fuel and I am just noticing that my new Prius hybrid battery isn’t functioning the same. It seems to always stay 1 bar away from full, doesn’t depletes ever when I’m driving. My old Prius battery would go up and down depending on how I’m driving etc. I would assume the battery lowering while driving means it’s being used, my new one hasn’t moved. I tested the battery by going in EV mode while idle, and it worked and depleted the battery so the battery is functioning, it just doesn’t seem to boost the ICE while driving.

This is what I constantly see on my energy monitor, I usually get 5.5L/100km and never gotten it lower than 5 L/100km.

upload_2024-3-10_10-18-57.jpeg

This photo below is the battery helping the ICE system, it flickers to this then quickly goes back to the photo above.

upload_2024-3-10_10-21-44.jpeg

I also can never get into EV mode while driving, which my old Prius used to do when I let the gas off and give only a little on the pedal. The hybrid cooling fan was filthy and I cleaned it, which I think helped but hasn’t fixed the problem.

I also noticed that my pedal has the same sensitivity whether I’m in ECO mode or not, which is very different than my last one where the pedal sensitivity change was very noticeable when having eco mode on/offf

I also would like to add that it is winter and my experience with my old Prius was only through summer and fall so maybe the weather change is the culprit and I am just being paranoid.

after reading some forums about similar situations I was told to clean the cooling fan (which I did, helped the fuel ecomony slightly.

Another thread suggested to reset the ECU of the battery to see if that fixes it, I have yet to do this but if anyone thinks this may fix it I will definitely try, I plan on trying it anyway but I am currently on a long drive across the country and don’t want to mess anything up until I get home.

Another forum mentions a bad coolant pump

If I am wrong here and there are no issues, I’ll be happy to hear it. Thank you too everyone in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How many miles on her?

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    5L/100Km doesn't sound that bad... that's 47MPG in freedom units. Even 5.5 == 42MPG.

I don't know the trip durations or ambient temperatures, but those are completely believable scores for shorter trips in the winter in a healthy Prius c.

I can't tell you anything about what you're seeing on that display though, I never looked at ours.