1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius C - No Acceleration On Startup

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priuscpete, Feb 13, 2020.

1. priuscpete

priuscpete New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, I'm new here but have searched around haven't found any threads on this issue.

My 2014 Prius C has 74k miles on it. Today it appeared to startup normally, the screen said ready, radio started up, etc, but when I shifted into reverse the car the car didn't move. I stepped on the gas pedal and it had almost no acceleration. After backing out of the parking spot incredibly slowly, I shifted into drive and the car wouldn't go past about 2-5 mph... I parked the car, put on the e break, took the keys out and then restarted the car and everything worked fine. I called Toyota and they're going to look at it this weekend but they were baffled.

I have noticed that occasionally on startup that the gear stick will physically move a little and sort of re-click into park position right after I startup the car. I've ignored it up until no because the car has given me 0 issues.

Any ideas?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are there lights on dashboard/error codes? Have you tested your 12v battery?

Asking a Toyota dealerships for help for a car this old will not go well... Unless it's warranty or recall (aka: free) they will charge outrageously more and do way more unnecessary work than a local trustworthy auto mechanic. If you have basic skills like changing oil, etc. you could also learn other skills you need via this forum and not have to spend a penny on a mechanic...

3. priuscpete

priuscpete New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's the fear! I've done a lot of basic maintenance stuff on it myself but this suggests a computer problem. I have an extended warranty on it so they said it shouldn't cost anything.

No error codes and I have not tested the 12V battery but it hasn't given me any issues. I'm wondering if the computer just didn't boot properly?

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF you still have the original 12 V battery, change it out with a new fully charged one.......and check the connections at the OTHER end of the main cables BEFORE you spend money on anything else.

This is not to say that there isn't another problem brewing but you can't properly test for that until you have a known good power supply.

P.S. I don't think any warranty covers a worn out battery.

5. priuscpete

priuscpete New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It is the original. Good point.

I wasn't thinking they would cover the battery, just computer problems.