1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius lock for underfloor storage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Julabelle, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Julabelle

Julabelle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey all,
    Need a bit of assistance. I broke one of the round locks for the underfloor storage area in my 2014 Prius Four. Does anyone know the correct name of the piece and/or where I can order one? I hate having it broken from my own stupidity.
    Thanks,
    Julie

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure, but it might be you have to buy the whole panel, item 8, pretty pricey, at $275 plus shipping, and overkill for just a broken lock:

Interior Trim - Rear Body for 2014 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

Can you post a picture, or describe the damage in more detail? Maybe it can be repaired. Even simpler, if it's looks ok, I would just leave it; you still have one lock that's working.

Julabelle likes this.
  3. Julabelle

Julabelle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks - will post a picture this afternoon. It's similar to the rear panel screw, but it is the round lock. I appreciate your response.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Julabelle

Julabelle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think this will show you

Attached Files:

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking at mine:

I think short length of 3/8" hardwood dowel could replicate the broken bit on the white plastic. The pilot hole in it goes full depth, so you could just substitute a longer screw (say 3/4" thread length) to hold it. Drill a longitudinal hole through the centre of hardwood dowel to match outside diameter of the new screw (so it just passes through).

Look at the other side to finish the dowel: it needs to be a little overlength, and notched where it contacts the white piece, so that it keys into the slot, which will prevent it from turning. At the other end, the little metal clip needs to be secured to it and locked, which could be accomplished by filing a flat spots and leaving a central ridge.

A little hard to explain, but if you look at the undamaged one, I think it becomes clearer. Basically, you need a piece of 3/8" dowel, and a longer screw (same od and coarse thread).

For tools, a few files and a hacksaw. A vice would be very handy too.

Julabelle likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For what it's worth, there's a part number on the (broken) white plastic piece:

58416-6590L

Googling that, plus "Toyota Prius hatch floor" didn't look to promising, but you should run it by a dealership parts department first.

Julabelle likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Simplest, just bring that piece into dealership parts department, for reference.

Or salvage yard, you might get lucky.