1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 prius v head gasket leak 72,000 miles!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Longboardluv, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Longboardluv

Longboardluv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my 2014 prius v has 72k miles Started getting a cylinder 1 miss fire error code. Also a knock during start up. Looked in cylinder 1 and it's wet with coolant ! Anyone have this issue?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There was another recent report of a CHG “erosion” failure, which really looked like a material defect. Don’t recall the MY or mileage.

3. Longboardluv

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is that covered by Toyota ?

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don’t recall. You can search for the thread. I imagine it may be a case by case basis, depending on service history, Toyota regional, etc., etc.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Powertrain warranty is 60K miles which the OP is over. They can always try for goodwill.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    CHG =? not found in our prius related acronyms list here. Ah I see cylinder head gasket.

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. Longboardluv

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you think I can call corporate and see what they can do?

8. Longboardluv

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well it's my worst nightmare! a blown head gasket on a 2014 prius V with 72,000 miles. I just bought this Prius 8 months ago used from Charles Maund VW. The cost is $3584.00 plus tax to repair.

I'm calling headquarters!

Kymber likes this.
  9. D’rae

D’rae New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    so what did you end up doing?? My 2012 Prius V had blown head gasket at 137k. I keep hearing this is a common defect in these years/models and I was quoted “$3700 total” originally from
    Toyota. They came down to $3200 and my shop guys quoted me $1900 but both warned a repair might be temporary since engine damage might have occurred already making the car susceptible to more issues down then road :(

10. Prius4Life!

Prius4Life! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'd like to ask all of you this question: So far, all of the repair estimates I've seen here seem to be for a top-end rebuild (head gasket), but all warn that it might not completely fix the problem. In addition to water in 2 cylinders, I'm also using about a quart of oil every 10,000 miles. I'm thinking that I'm more likely looking at a TOTAL engine rebuild, or perhaps buying a rebuilt engine, since that may be cheaper. Both seem like they'd be cost-prohibitive vs. just trading in the car. I really like the car I have, but my budget is limited. Any input from you experienced Prius pros?

11. ATX Prius V

ATX Prius V New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Dealer (Cedar park toyota) saying the leak in my 2012 Prius V is minor for now but will cost $4500 to fix due to 19 hrs of labor!!!! Does it really cost that much?? I see others quoted $1700 or $1900.
    Had to replace the aux batter yesterday @ dealership despite they couldn't figure that out the first time...had to tow the car back and spend $360 to replace it. Also just replaced the ABS actuator for $2800 a month ago...car drives very well but with the leak wondering if it's worth keeping it or trade it...any suggestions?

12. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Weird...my 2012 v has over 150K miles on it now and no problems (yet). With that said...I did do a heck of a lot of preventative maintenance on it after we purchased it ( see link in signature ).

For those with problems...did you do EGR cleaning..etc? The theory is that if the EGR gets clogged it can lead to increased engine temps, eventually leading to head gasket problems, etc...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Kymber

Kymber New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi there! Can you give us an update of what came of this? Did headquarters offer you goodwill support?? I also have a 2014 Prius, with 127k miles, never given me any problems, bought it brand new... now with a BHG. Quoted 3-4k at least! There’s no way I can pay that. Going to call headquarters, but in the meantime curious what happened for you?

I was told the same thing. :( I was told by the mechanic who diagnosed it that he’s seen other problems pop up & that replacing the whole engine might make more sense. Either way, that’s around 4k unless i get Goodwill coverage. Did you go with the discount you mentioned above? And how has it been working?

#13 Kymber, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2021
  14. ZX Nutt

ZX Nutt New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure why it costs so much. I just did it myself and materials cost me about $320, including having the head decked, cleaned and an exhaust manifold stud extracted. I am getting a cam shaft sensor code, but am working through it. I had never gone this far into an engine, but 5 youtube videos from ebn C (watched a few times) and I decided to tackle it. Being a complete novice on anything further than a brake job, alternator or oil change, it didn't take me 19 hours and I took my time!

Mike from Merrick and Mr. F like this.