1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius v noise

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by williamjs, Jan 31, 2017.

1. williamjs

williamjs New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Just found out recently that my prius v is making some scratching noise after a drive.

Just want to know does this also happen to all the prius V or prius. The noise can only be heard outside the car and in quiet environment.
    It doesn't happen when its cold start but always after a drive. Perhaps something get heat up and create that noise.
    The car is only 20km and almost 3 years soon. Bring to 2 toyota dealer and both technicians says it is common in prius. So just want to know do u all also have that noise after a drive? If not does anyone know what the problem.

Thank You

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hard to tell from your video, but the Prius has a couple of sounds that are normal. One is actually a speaker that makes a warning noise when you are in EV mode and going slow. It comes from the driver's side front. Another is an electric brake booster and then there are the cooling fans. I would believe it was normal if the dealers heard it and also said it is normal.

3. williamjs

williamjs New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for your reply.
    I was just wondering why it does not happen during the first 5-10min of the drive. Whereas it happens all the time maybe after 15min + of driving. Was thinking something might get hot and expand after 15min and was scratching against something when I hit the accelerator.
    Just worried it might lead to bigger problem later when warranty finish and both dealer technicians might be in experience in handling hybrid stuff.
    Would be great if someone who is driving prius and if they have same sound, then at least I know from user point i am not alone and its normal.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In the video, it appears that it happens when the brakes are applied. How long a run did you give it before you did the demo? During the run, how many times did you apply the brakes hard enough for the pads to sweep around the rotors several times? Low kms, look at the rotors or feel them. Rust? Can you localize the sound to which side and/or front/rear? Scratching could also be a rock chip between pad and rotor. See if hard braking in reverse changes things.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is hard to hear, but i suspect the pedestrian warning system as rjparker states. when the engine is off, pull into or out of your garage with the windows down to see if you hear it.
    i don't like technicians who say a noise is 'common', but have no idea what it is.