1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius V not starting and making noise near inverter coolant

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kumatae, Oct 11, 2023.

1. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

seeking help to troubleshoot my 2014 Prius V (station wagon). It has about 120,000 miles and I’ve done all the maintenance on it regularly. For few weeks, it wasn’t starting all the time. I’d push start and all the dash would light up and I’d just try it again and I would hear a faint click in the rear and I knew it would start. Fast forward yesterday, it would not start at all, and I recorded making this noise. It’s the noise you hear as soon a as you enter the car with the key but it sounded like it was dying.

I pulled out my techstream and ran but I didn’t get any code. When I push the start button twice without having my foot on the brake, I’d only see the check engine light and that annoying noise. I’m attaching it. Any ideas what it could be? Inverter pump? Or fuel pump? Will be uploading video link shortly.

2. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I found a Reddit post that had similar noise.
    https://reddit.com/r/prius/s/Ba7inU3Cwr
    it pointed a dead 12v battery. It’s odd for me cause I had just replaced it 5 months ago not because I had an issue but I did it to narrow down my issues I was having which ended up being a blown fuse. Luckily, I bought the battery near my house and they’re going to replace it for me. More to follow.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The normal noise at that point in time is your brake booster/pump.

Brian1954 likes this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who did you get the battery from?
    Make sure you put a 4 amp or less charger on it for 8-12 hours to give
    it a FULL charge.
    None of these places charges the battery once they arrive at the store, and they
    could be sitting for months and months before being sold.