1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius V observations

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Ronald Doles, Jul 8, 2023.

1. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We have a 2014 Prius V as a daily driver. It typically gets 45 mpg on a tank, burns no oil so I am assuming that mechanically everything is still in pretty good shape. These observations have probably all been reported before but:

Since I am a gadgeteer, I have installed a ScanGauge monitoring Water Temperature, Battery State of Charge, Battery Charge Current and MPG.

I noticed that once the engine is warm, the system attempts to keep the SOC at 60%.

During COVID when visitors/drivers weren't allowed in the hospital, I sat in a parking deck on a 95 degree day with the AC running. The AC would draw about 5 amps which would eventually draw the SOC down below 50%. The ICE would restart charging the battery at about 20 amps until the SOC reached 60% at which point, the ICE would shut back off. Rinse and repeat for 4 hours. The ICE ran about 25% of the time unlike the Tahoe sitting next to me. I could hear it's AC clutch kicking in and dropping out while the engine idled for the whole 4 hours.

On surface streets below about 40 mph with light throttle and with the SOC at 60%, it will operate in electric mode until the SOC drops below 50%. The ICE then restarts pushing the SOC back to 60% and then it switches back to EV mode again.

Driving at 55 mph on a limited access highway, I have observed a 20 amp charge until the battery SOC approaches 60%. The mileage drops to about 30 mpg while doing this charging. Once 60% SOC is attained, the battery charge amps hovers around zero for the rest of the 20 mile trip and the mileage rises to close to 50 mpg.

Regenerative braking seems to be current limited to a peak of about 110 amps. Above 110 amps, the friction brakes begin to assist. The 110 amps limit is pretty easy to reach with light brake pedal pressure at higher speeds but requires more pedal pressure at lower speeds.

I believe that it is friction brakes only below about 8 mph.

All in all, a pretty amazing system.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Paraphrasing a certain computer manufacturer, ‘it just works’.

vvillovv likes this.