1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Arctic sea ice increases 43 % above 2 years ago

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by mojo, Jul 22, 2015.

1. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The speech by former US Vice-President Al Gore was apocalyptic. ‘The North Polar ice cap is falling off a cliff,’ he said. ‘It could be completely gone in summer in as little as seven years. Seven years from now.’
    Those comments came in 2007 as Mr Gore accepted the Nobel Peace Prize for his campaigning on climate change.

this is what happens when people who only know about CO2 try to predict climate. sorry folks, there is more to climate than just CO2. but to be fair, unlike antarctic, arctic ice is shrinking alright.

#2 Former Member 68813, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am guessing this is related to California drought, or rather RRR (High Pressure Ridiculously Resilient Ridge) which pushed Pacific moisture to Arctic. Most of the gain in western part
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm missing something. Mojo's thread title says "2015 Arctic sea ice", but the article he links was published, Aug 30, 2014, and compares 2014 to 2012.

Please, Mojo, clarify what year are you really referring to?

As this chart shows, the Arctic sea ice now (2015) is only a hair higher than the same date in 2 years ago (2013), not even close to the 43% and/or 63% that Mojo variously states:
    http://www.iup.uni-bremen.de:8084/amsr2/extent_n_running_mean_amsr2_previous.png

#4 fuzzy1, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good catch I guess your right.
    Heres this years assessment.
    Arctic ice EMBIGGENS, returns to 1980s levels of cap cover • The Register
    "This growth, combined with the recent bounce-back in the Arctic, means that the world's total area of sea ice today is little different to that seen thirty years ago and more, when people first started monitoring it."
    Thanks for pointing that out , but you are wrong now STFU capice?.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Despite the title of that article you linked here, it in turn links to a graph showing that Arctic sea ice today is lower than at any time in the 1980s. And 1990s. And first half of the 200Xs too:
    http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.anomaly.arctic.png

So, NO, I WILL NOT OBEY YOUR DEMAND TO STFU!

If you don't like it, then please take your profanity to a moderator.

Then we can review, yet again, the subject of Antarctic ice mass loss as measured by GRACE.

#6 fuzzy1, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Dude, Antarctic ice loss is due to geothermal activity not Global warming. Capice?

8. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]
    So the +43% is in relation to minimum?

Arctic is very dry, and the amount of ice and it's ability to last through the summer depends on amount of snow accumulation. This results in inevitable variation. Interestingly, as ice thins the YTY variation may grow more drastic, as there will be less ice and more melt in dryer year.

Lets revisit this subject after el Nino sets in and California drought ends

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This claim was previously addressed on the third page of Arctic Sea ice 2015.

I'm still waiting for your reply to our responses there. So far, it is just crickets.

The vast majority of accelerated Antarctic ice loss is from warming ocean water undermining the floating ice. That uncorks the land ice, which lies atop skids greased by a little bit of geothermal melting.

As pointed out in the above linked thread, geothermal heat in the volcanically warm Thwaites Glacier area averages 114 mW/m^2. Following Bob's figures linked there, you can compute that if all this heat is used to melt ice, and none flows up through the ice sheet, it will melt about a half inch of ice thickness per year. Other sources show the actual melt is less than half that.

The continent is losing far more ice than this geothermal heat can account for.

#9 fuzzy1, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And where do you suppose the warm water comes from?
    I'll give you a hint it's not from CO2.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I'll give you a hint. Warmer waters come to polar regions from warmer regions. So, objectively, we would examine both circulation patterns and water T at the sources. The latter has a clear link to CO2, as you may have already denied in your mind. The former may or may not be related to observed ocean heating, but I am inclined to guess that it won't be mojo or anyone else at PC who will clarify that.

Merkey and fuzzy1 like this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It certainly isn't coming from any significant continent-wide uptick in geothermal heat under land-based ice. And I'm not going to put any weight on a speculation of ocean-basin-wide geothermal heat uptick either without some sort of evidence. The required heat is incredibly large, far beyond that of any known local volcanism.

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I dont see any warm water in SST data.

14southernssta.png

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We need to separate discussions of the north and south oceans here. Northern ice is going down, and mojo previously explained that warm-water intrusion is doing the melting, Now he presents Southern ocean SST @13. As always I presume that your goal is not to confuse people.

Confusion (FUD) is not a good goal, unless one's larger goal is simply postponing the obvious. If that's yours, don't do it for free! Get on the Heartland payroll!

15. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually this one also makes sense if Thermohaline is weakening or shutting down. The temp at south polar cap would go down. Is this the point you trying to convey?

Or this is just an unrelated piece which somehow proves global GHG conspiracy theory?