1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Floor Mat Woes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by framistat, Oct 29, 2018.

1. framistat

framistat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking to purchase a 2015, checked the service history on the Toyota Owners site and found a pattern I want to ask about.

At about a year and 10k miles, it was brought in to the dealer for service; then again six months later, one month after that, six months after that, and six months after that - all for the same thing (in addition to regular oil changes):

INSPECT DRIVER SIDE FLOOR MAT FOR PROPER ~|~ ~|~NO CAUSE SPECIFIED IN RO

I thought this issue did not apply to 2015s? Anyone have a clue what this might be?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's what I think it is (we have something similar in Canada), it's just the driver floor mat inspection to ensure it's properly secured and that there is only one mat on the driver's side (not two... like an all-weather mat on top of a carpet mat for example).

This was implemented after that series of sudden unintended acceleration cases a few years back (like the tragic story of the police officer and his family who were killed in a Lexus ES350 - they found the cause to be the floor mat which slipped out of position).

framistat likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was actually a winter floor mat from an incorrect model lying on top of the oems floor mat.

toyotas answer was zip ties of the existing floor mat and permanent clips on newer models

no worries, that is probably programmed into their software, they likely don't even bother to check anymore

framistat likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1.

It's a lawyer-check.
    I doubt that there was a mat issue at all.

If your car has more than 100,000 miles on the clock, look for an abbreviated oil change interval right before the car was traded in, and remember to check your oil every 1000 miles.
    Consider a 5,000 mile change interval if you do not do your owm maintenance.

Good Luck!

framistat likes this.