1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 prius 2 drive shaft.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rangerbob36, Dec 13, 2014.

1. rangerbob36

rangerbob36 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife purchased a 2015 prius three weeks ago from the local dealer. The front end was rumbling as we drove it home. It was returned twice. They balanced the front tires twice and the rumbling continued.

We took it to another franchise owned by the same dealer. Drove it with the Service manager and he acknowledged the rumbling was still there. Left it with them 4 days ago. A call today said they had to order new drive shafts. (Are they kidding. Doesn't this car have new drive shafts?) The drive shafts will arrive Monday.

Question> Shouldn't I just ask for another vehicle???

rangerbob

2. Scribe

Scribe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome new person, I don't feel alone, you could ask for a trade but I'm guessing they have put you in another ride, given you all the free coffee you can drink and perhaps they will extend your, ______________, something especially if your state has a Lemon Law. I believe you are stuck with the one you bought. Went through lots of pain with Ford Focuses (3 of them)which is why we own a 2008 & 2010 Prius. Machines are built by people and they make mistakes, though no one likes it on their vehicle, these are pretty good automobiles the 08 was used and I drive it hard (87000, 62000 by me) gas, oil, filters and tires. The passenger door lock on the 10 is a flimsy POS 'fixed' 3 X but its the wife's car so I don't know what she does with it (I don't like the claustrophobic console & cabin, so I've driven it once.

3. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It's frustrating to get a new vehicle that has a serious problem. Apparently they think that your car has defective new drive shafts.

I don't think you will get anywhere asking for a new vehicle unless the drive shaft replacement fails to fix the problem. You might check to see if your state has a lemon law that allows you to return the car if the dealer can't fix it after several (usually three) attempts..

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just hope they correct the problem! That is why they have warranty on new cars. Hal

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and call toyota cutover service. log a complaint, and ask them what they will do for you if these parts fail out of warranty. all the best!(y)

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Technically the Prius has "half shafts". They include the constant velocity joints. They go from the transmission to the wheels, one on each side up front. If you look underneath you can see the "boots" that protect the constant velocity joints, one by each front wheel and one on each side of the transmission. For those doing their own maintenance inspection of those boots is a requirement and a very good idea. You use your fingers to move the pleats around looking for breaks in the "rubber".

A "drive shaft" goes from the transmission to a differential, usually in the rear, for rear wheel drive cars and trucks. And of course those vehicles have "half shafts" going from the differential to the wheels. A four wheel drive has two drive shafts, each going to a differential, one in front and the other in the rear, with -four- "half shafts", one going to each wheel.

7. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If they can't fix this problem in quick order, especially a new car, then it's called a "full shaft". How soon after the rumbling ride home the day you got your car did you return to tell the dealership about it? Hopefully the new half shafts will fix the problem. If that does turn out to be the fix, you'll probably not have another problem with the car again.

There are things that some Toyota dealers can't fix. Unusual problems that don't show up in the book. Our first Prius ('05) would wear rear tires down in waves right down to the cords within 10,000 miles. I tried to get this fixed, but they could find nothing wrong on several tries. I could feel the rear hubs dragging ever so slightly in several spots when I rotated them by hand without a wheel on. But they couldn't discern this and it never got fixed. I traded it in at 145,000 miles. It was getting old having to replace tires so often. Other than that, the car was not a maintenance problem. Only disappointment was that I didn't get to get it handed down from my wife when it was time to buy a new one.

Our 2011 Prius has been golden. No issues, knocking on wood and whatever else works. Original tires still have legal tread depth. are very round and are pretty quiet at 54,000+ miles. So it's the luck of the draw sometimes. Most people that own Prius seem to have no problems with them.

Your car is brand new, and it should be made right. It's in your dealer's interest to make it right. I hope they do.