1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius II-ran over tall curb, bumper damage more than cosmetic?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CJP882, Nov 21, 2018.

1. CJP882

CJP882 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Managed to stupidly run over, at an angle, the very end of a curb/retaining wall with my 2015 Prius II out of someone's driveway. The car was able to be driven in reverse off the curb, which had to be done because the location it was stuck in was unsafe. The bottom of front driver side bumper got pretty scraped up, but to my completely untrained eye, and even though I must have driven over the curb with the front tire and landed on my bumper, and then burned rubber getting off the curb, the car and tire seem fine so far. Starts fine, no check engine light comes on, and it seemed to drive normally when I took it up the street for a minute.

Based on the photos, it possible I did more than cosmetic damage? Lose screws or anything important that will lead to my bumper just falling off when I drive it? There definitely seem to be some cracks that probably weren't there before. Is it worth taking it to Toyota or a mechanic to check it out?

Also, less importantly, If I were to fix the bumper, any idea if the whole bumper would have to be replaced?

Attached Files:

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    All I can see is some minor scratches in the paint and some ugly but unimportant gouges in those plastic pieces that guide airflow under the car. Mine look about the same.

CJP882 and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks fine to me. what does it look like from above? i'd either ignore it, or touch it up.
    and check the the underneath fasteners. damage can cause the panels to slowly fall of from wind resistance.

CJP882 and Patrick Wong like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the condition of these two bolts in particular:

upload_2018-11-23_10-1-54.png

And that the plastic pieces are secure, no fasteners missing. Comparing against the other side will help with that.

Definitely make sure all the metal fasteners holding the front plastic pieces are intact and secure: if only so they don't end up in someone's tire tread.

For reference, here's a shot of the same area on mine. Those bolts are sort of protected by plastic ramping down, just ahead of them:

IMG_9637.JPG

#4 Mendel Leisk, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    CJP882 and Patrick Wong like this.