1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 prius model five

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ruppy, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ruppy

ruppy New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Purchased a 2015 prius model five on November 25, 2015. Not getting great mileage here in the Seattle area. Lots of short trips and hills. Temp between 30 and 45 degrees. I was reading in the generation two forum about grill blocking. There was a recomendation of a 75% block for the lower and a 50% block for the upper. Does it make a difference which areas are left open in this situation? Mileage appx 40 mpg. Thanks

Mike

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Several factors you mention affect gas mileage negatively. Short trips, hilly drives, cold weather, and the model 5 has 17 inch wheels with wider tires.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I believe I grill blocked my Persona when I had it at 100% (or as close as possible) lower grill and left the top open. It did help retain heat and seemed to warm the car quicker and the ICE wasn't constantly running in traffic on cold days thus resulting in better mpg.

But yeah 40 mpg calculated under those circumstances with the 17" wheels seem about right. Do you have winter blend gas in Seattle? If so that doesn't help either.

I believe I still have the foam pipe insulator stuff that I cut to size and used last winter on my Prius in my basement somewhere...

The grill is different on my wife's v, so I don't think it can be used on her's unfortunately.