1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius Moldy/Musty/Wet Sock Smell From A/C system?!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AshooraPrius, Jun 17, 2015.

1. AshooraPrius

AshooraPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've dropped by on here because all has been well and I've been super busy with life since the last time I visited!
    Since I've purchased my car starting at 47 miles on it, I'm now under 5,500 miles (I don't drive that much)- We've got a problem...
    I've been noticing that weird funk smell that everybody back in 2010-2011 were talking about in an old thread here (moldy/mildew/wet smell coming from a/c), but guess what? It's 2015, so it's time for an update on the newest Prius models and see what's going on and what are people doing differently these days and so forth.

I was due for another factory warranty maintenance checkup, so I took my car in 2 days ago for the workup.
    I've mentioned to the shop guys about the funky smell and the guy told me, "it's a problem that several toyota models ranging from 2014-2015 are having and Toyota can't figure out the problem." Basically, he told me to just deal with it and stop whining over it. It's a new car and I don't know about you, but I've gotten sick from mold exposure before so no, I don't want to experience that again.

I've found that back in April 2015, Toyota got a class action lawsuit for mold growth in the a/c systems of Camrys. This isn't just a mild problem, obviously.

I wanted to know what are you guys doing today about the problem and have you talked to a toyota shop guy about the issue? Are you even experiencing this in your Prius and what year Prius do you drive?

At first, I thought my filter was just down right nasty from all the pollen and air polution, but I was wrong after the Toyota guy took the filters out and showed me how clean they were. (I even sniffed the filters to make sure they didn't stink!) :unsure:

Call me crazy, but it is 2015 and even though this problem obviously existed back in 2010 and probably earlier than that, things do get outdated and so that's why I'm posting a whole new thread about updated information regarding this. Please don't refer me to the old thread- I know, I know, I know (thanks for thinking of it, anyway.) (y)

The goal is to touch base on this issue today and update what's going on. This is still a problem and hey, it's in the 2015 Prius models obviously.

My next move is to contact Toyota about it and continue research....
    :(

I hope you all are having a great week so far. So sorry to drop in and have bad news like this, but I am hoping you have some answers and some updates regarding this information.

Tessy likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    they had a service bulletin on the early gen 3 to replace the evap coil .. its in here somewhere Mildew Smell | PriusChat
    I have the same on one of my gen 2's and use the coil cleaner with disinfectant ..
    the dealer should have offered you the cleaning service, I think its 70 if they do it

4. AshooraPrius

AshooraPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for that info. No they were not owning up to it being their problem. They didn't offer help at all- just told me there's nothing nobody can do to resolve the issue.

5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    contact Toyota care directly im sure you can find their number on google...its a new car so I would not accept that answer, if they cant fix it force them to buy it back. mold is very bad.its a heath hazzard

6. dame3780

dame3780 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    xliderider is right. Buy a cleaner for the a/c evaporator. You can get this serviced at the dealer as well for around $125 or do it yourself for much less. Try turning the air to recirculate only instead of fresh air and this will help with the smell coming in as well.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you can avoid moisture regularly lingering in there, you won't have a mold problem. There's a couple things you can do to achieve this:

1. Use AC infrequently.
    2. Switch AC off several minutes before you shut down. You may need to run windows down slightly, to avoid fog up.

8. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II