1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 won’t take gas

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Therapydoc, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Therapydoc

Therapydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ve read many threads but can’t find any for gen 3 issues. I know gen 2 had bladder issues and the fuel door issues on gen 4. I can barely lift the handle wit it only half way in otherwise it clicks off the pump. I’ve tried flipping nozzle upside down, lifting hose, etc. It helped one time but today it didn’t again. Outside temps have ranged from 20 degrees to 50 degrees. (Not sure why that would matter but started when it was really cold). I am able to eventually get the tank full after about 10 minutes of starting and stopping. I fill up every other day for work so I really need to figure this out asap. Let me know any ideas you have or what I can look into.

do these have a charcoal filter somewhere, if so how do I check that?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried different pumps?

the evaporative system can get flooded, causing problems. you'd probably have to refer to the service manual at toyotatechinfo,
    check with a dealer, it might be covered under the emissions warranty

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First thing I would do is to get a copy of the factory service manual and read up on the evaporative emissions system. Then I would safely lift and support the back of the car to inspect the fuel filler and evap system parts. In particular I would examine the vent - the place where outside air can go in or out of the system.

I don't know the Gen3 off the top of my head but often when I trace a "hard to fill the fuel tank" complaint, it's the result of a spider or insect crawling into the end of the vent hose and making a nice (nearly airtight) little home. I clear them out and take some window screen to make a mesh cap for the hose.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully this covers it:

Attached Files:

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  5. Therapydoc

Therapydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ive tried about 8 different pumps now with no change. Called dealer and they said there’s no recall or tsb for the gen 3.

bisco likes this.
  6. Therapydoc

Therapydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    this should be exactly what I need. Since we are covered in ice for the next day or two this will give me something to do. Thank ya sir

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Therapydoc

Therapydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I pulled the charcoal canister and all those tested fine. I did have some dirt built up around these two little holes in the upper neck filler where pump goes in. Not sure if they are part of the vent assembly or not. I don’t see anyplace else the vent could get blocked as the vent tube from the gas tank goes into the neck filler and is behind the fuel cap. There’s a plastic box in the rear quarter panel behind driver tire that seems to be an empty box. Is that just an expansion box or something. It’s completely sealed except two lines going into it. One line goes back to tank and one line comes up to the neck filler alongside the filler tube.

Haven’t tried adding gas yet but just making sure I exhaust all options before her back together

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the vent filter. There was a stump-the-chump game about it.

9. Therapydoc

Therapydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And can anyone confirm if I have all the wheel well inserts ? I bought the car used and it’s doesn’t look like anything is missing but didn’t know if there should maybe be another cover over this cover for the fuel filler neck.

Attached Files:

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 Canadian Touring (sim to US level 5/V) has some sort of fibrous liner in the rear wheel wells. Other levels don't have it. I'm guessing it's primarily for noise abatement.

11. Therapydoc

Therapydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well still didn’t solve my issues. Filled up today and still kicking the pump off. The charcoal filter all checked out okay. Is there a good way to blow air thru the vent system to try to force out whatever is blocking it ? I saw there’s one connector down by the tank that would come apart or where’s the best place to blow air into.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lot of "silt" in your pics, btw.

13. Therapydoc

Therapydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yea we are in the midst of a bunch of ice storms and they are putting cinders all of the roads and I travel on gravel roads for work all the time

Mendel Leisk likes this.