1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 4-Touring Prius Screen Turns "Off" While Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RaleighChuck, Apr 12, 2016.

1. RaleighChuck

RaleighChuck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    2016 4-Touring Prius Screen Turns "Off" While Driving

This week the screen/monitor which has the audio/GPS, etc. has been turning "off" on it's own and rebooting.

At first, I thought maybe the Prius engine had turned off, but no, only the audio/GPS screen turned off on its own a few times during one trip. It happened once before. Sometimes when it turns back on (own it's own) it continues playing the radio; at other times the radio is off and it displays the engine start up screens.

Has anyone experienced this problem and what was done to correct the "defect". I'm going to have the dealer check it out, but before I do, thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks so much!

2. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Try and update the firmware using the en-tune app.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's another thread on this with no solution. someone's going to have to take it to the dealer to figure it out i guess.

4. RaleighChuck

RaleighChuck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How does one update the En-Tune firmware, and did you have this problem? Thanks!

Thanks for this. Can you give me a link (URL) to the other thread?

5. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure your phone has a data connection. Run the en-tune app, let it connect.

I did not have the problem. But, I used the entune app within 1 hour of taking the car. It announced that it was updating the firmware.
    When it was done, the console restarted.

pakitt likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, don't know how, but if you go to the gen 4 prius 'audio and electronics' forum, the thread is 'gen 4 infotainment re-booting itself while driving?' thread. all the best.(y)

7. The Lawnmower

The Lawnmower Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I posted this in another thread....
    I believe it is a software conflict with HD radio and Bluetooth.
    I have owned my 2017 Prius 3 Touring for 6 months. I drove 30mi today and my center console must have reset about 15 times on my drive. This is the first time this issue has happened and I scoured the internet for a solution. 95% of the time I listen to XM radio and my bluetooth is turned off. Today was different. I listened to a FM HD station and had to make a call so I had my bluetooth turned on.... I went back out to my car and drove around the neighborhood. Only used XM radio. No problem. Used XM + Bluetooth. No problem. Used HD FM. No problem. Used HD FM + Bluetooth. Problem. Radio and center console kept reseting and turning off and back on every 3min or so. Ran through the same sequence multiple times and it produced the same results. So there seems to be a conflict with either the Toyota/Android/MMS software that is causing this issue. Would like to know others thoughts if they had this problem and if this corrected it.

8. Nice Prius

Nice Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would also check the health of the regular 12V battery. On a non-hybrid that problem is often times the result of a battery going bad. So many times on modern cars problems are the result of the 12V battery going bad. Easy thing to test, or have tested, to rule out.

9. George Davis

George Davis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also have that problem on 2016 prius gen 3...after reading it might be my phone I took all phones off car and turned off Bluetooth on all phones. That fixed the radio cut out but still have "cannot read data on micro SD card....cycles on and off. By resetting radio it will comeback but then goes off again. Help anybody? George

10. ihatenoise

ihatenoise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just google "toyota Firmware update" and you can download it from toyota official website

Although for my car, the latest update ( 13TBDANA-DA10_0080.kwi ) was not available from the website and I had to get it from techinfo :eek:

11. George Davis

George Davis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update...Toyota dealer replaced radio display and thought we had it fixed...no...going back tomorrow for same cutting out reboot problem!

Anybody else found battery to be problem?

#11 George Davis, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2021