1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2016 Hyundai Sonata hybrid test and PHV drive

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Trollbait, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid First Drive Review - CleanMPG Forums
    The car is a true full size sedan with more passenger volume than the Avalon hybrid and a little less trunk volume. It is also about $10k less than the Avalon.

The trunk has a flat floor, and previous reports said it had a full 60/40 folding rear seat. No word on a spare tire.

2. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No spare tire - The CleanMPG article states that the battery is under the trunk in the space where the spare tire would be. The same is said in the Jalopnik review: The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Is A Great Cruiser But Barely A Fuel Miser

Trollbait likes this.
  3. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like a lot of Kias and Hyundais, All Hat, No Cattle.

When I get out of a Sonata, I can rave about the driving dynamics of a Toyota. Just think about that for, ten seconds.

It should be even less than an Avalon or Camry Hybrid.

But one point. Hyundai is targeting younger men via style. While I like the Avalon style, and sorta kinda the Camry, we get to the Prius.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Car and Driver does not concur with your Sonata / Camry findings. I compared a conventional Accord 4 cyl sedan '14 vs. '15 Camry Hybrid SE and I concur with Car and Driver (Accord 2nd, Camry 8th). The Camry felt a tad like a bull in a China shop. Got the job done, but was a little bit jerky in driveline sometimes, and the road feel and handling was a good step back from the Accord's.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our hycam is smooth as silk, perhaps something was wrong with yours. i won't argue handling, i don't drive fast enough to feel the difference.

6. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I agree 100% with the Accord. It's a gorgeous car to drive. My comment was targeted towards Hyundai. Toyota's come a long way, but I'm not sure they want to get all the way there.

cycledrum likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    women are into style as are young guys, & that gets Hyundai a bunch of customers too. My sister in-law & some of her chick friends are on their 1st & 2nd purchase.

bisco likes this.
  8. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

We have a non-hybrid Sonata Limited and all I can say is....*it has no driving dynamics*. :D. Coming from a Mazda background, the handling of the Sonata pales in comparison to a Mazda or even dare I say our Prius. However, we knew this ahead of time.

What Hyundai is known for is giving good 'bang for the buck'. I think the reason many people end up purchasing them is :
    • You get lots of 'bells and whistles' for the money.
    • You can find awesome deals on them, at pretty much any time.
    • The '10 year' warranty.
    Therefore, when people comparison shop, Hyundai often wins the battle. This has been a great business model for them.

That being said, our Sonata feels like a well built, substantial, car. However, it is just no fun at all to drive. I'm also skeptical about the mechanical aspects of the car. In fact, I'm not sure we will keep it past the warranty period..but then again, I'd wager that it is rare for folks to keep a car over 10 years these days ( human nature ).

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What year is your Sonata? The 2016 is a redesign.