1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Four Touring....Whoah! Those aren't alloys!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by sommesc, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sommesc

sommesc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ok, had to check something out.
    The brochure on the 2016 Four Touring says

17-in. 5-spoke alloy wheels with P215/45R17 tires

This weekend, I looked at my NEW Prius rims.
    They are plastic covers!!
    Am I missing something???
    My 2010 Prius had REAL Allow rims, very nice.
    I think I have been swindled!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As I recall, the 2010 alloys, like the 2016 alloys were under plastic wheel covers.

3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ok, some order:
    The 2010 17" wheels were full alloys no covers.
    The 2010 15" wheels were alloys with plastic covers.
    On the Gen4 (2016), the 17" are alloys with plastic covers. Why? To make the wheels lighter (thinner spikes) and still retain aerodynamics (filling the holes between the spikes), hence the covers which are not only for aesthetics.

DonDNH likes this.
  4. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're kidding, right? You actually bought a new Prius, and didn't even notice the plastic on the wheels? Better check your tire pressure, too.

And here's another shock... Don't be surprised if you see water inside the headlights after you wash it.
    (I added little goldfish to my lights. ;))

5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There are reports and pics of gen4 headlights with water (not moisture) inside the plastic cover of the headlights?

6. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Better check with Frederickdawg on that one. And one other poster said he had water spots in the headlights. And somebody else saw moisture or water in the tail lights?

Get your fishing pole ready...:ROFLMAO:

(I wax my headlights and tail lights, so the water runs right off.)

7. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You did.

Every piece of marketing literature put out by Toyota claims that your car with the fancy tires will get the same MPG as all the other non-eco models.

You won't.

Not even close.

BTW, since the alloy part is black, you might want to invest in a Sharpie permanent marker now. You can start using after your first free tire rotation, but good for more serious curb rash as well.

Here are some smiley for the both of us :):D. Hang in there!!

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There seems to be anecdotal evidence, that they did so by sand bagging the EPA score of the 15 inch models (except Eco) to be the same as the 17 inch models. So they did not lie about the 17s, they just under reported the 15s.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Never been below 60 MPG in my Three model with 15" tires.

(But I've never been above that, either. However, I just drive it like a normal car.)

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh c'mon, that's not going to cut it, spring for proper touch-up paint.

Not sure if there's a code for the 2016 17" rims, are they satin black? That'd likely do. Road rash tends to be on the very edge, where touch up paint looks the most seamless.

@sommesc the 3rd generation 17" rims are the last plastic-less alloys, I agree, it's sad. With our 2010 17" rims classic silver touch up paint blends perfectly.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius v has real alloys.
    Capture18.JPG
    When I first saw my 2016, it hadn't been detailed, and the plastic covers were in the back of the car. It drove exactly the same with and without the plastic covers on.

13. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The very nature of the test design is not to show the absolute MPG one will achieve in thier personal vehicle (YMMV) but rather to show relative differences between vehicles.

By not testing the 17" wheels in this country -- and yet featuring them prominently in all thier advertising and advertising the fuel efficiency of the Touring models as equivalent to the other non-Eco models-- Toyota has committed legal fraud.

They did not get away with this in England. Let's not celebrate those who elect to hide these kinds of things, simply because they can.

You never know what will be hidden next.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're not completely plastic covers. They're plastic inserts. (The 15" wheel models... those are full plastic covers over alloy wheels).

The black part of your wheel is the alloy metal. The silver part, as you've found out, is plastic. It's designed to save weight and give that visual appeal that is the current trend (notice how many other newly redesigned cars have silver/black wheels). The plastic part can be swapped out for other colours so you can have fun with different coloured inserts (either single insert replacement or a full insert replacement).

[​IMG]
    Single blue insert

[​IMG]

Full insert swap (all 5 pieces per wheel)

Nope. That image you posted is the 16" wheels with full wheel covers :). Only the 17" wheels are fully exposed alloy wheels..

16" wheels with full wheel covers

[​IMG]

17" wheels

[​IMG]

pakitt and alanclarkeau like this.
  15. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In the EU it goes one step further. You get ratings for both the 15" and the 17" wheels, which are different by 03.L/100km. That is the 15" is rated as 3L/100km // 78mpg combined, and the 17" 3.3L/100km // 71 mpg. The same was for the Gen3 - there were 2 different values for the 2 different models.
    It goes one step further now - my Gen4 is allowed to mount only 17" wheels, due to CO2 and fuel efficiency compliance (my Gen3 had another tire size allowed, 195/55 R16) - i.e. we approve the car with these tires emitting so and so much (and hence pay this or that car tax), you are not allow to mount whatever you want and consume more or have more CO2 coming out.
    This means that I will be able to mount only 17" 215/45 winter tires, or otherwise I will have to go through approval once more, for my car to mount something else (and this costs €€€).

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @pakitt It seems odd that you would be prevented from going to 15" rims from 17", say for snow tires, if government's object is to reduce emissions. It seems staying true to your tax bracket overrides all other factors, lol.

Very onerous too: 17", low profile snow tires are significantly more expensive, the rims also, and traction in snow not as good as narrower 15" setup.

17. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is odd, but that's what I have on the papers, and this is what Toyota Germany answered me when I asked if I could put on other tires for winter.
    The sales guy back in June when I asked said that maybe they will sell tires of other dimensions for the Prius Gen4 and that they will have to prove that they are approved for use on my car and make edits on the papers.
    We will see - I will ask in the next couple of weeks, what and at which price they will offer for the Prius Gen4.

18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's always the possibility that there are other changes in manufacture of a car with 17" wheels - some of which may not be published, but only in technical information. Possibly alignment differences, amount of steering limit to give clearance for wider tyres, changes to turning circle, power steering assist rates, even different components to account for differing weights and stresses (shock absorber (damper), spring rates).

#18 alanclarkeau, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That was the case with 3rd gen, turning radius was greater, and my sense was the steering feel was better, more planted.

I think the consensus was it was ok to go from 17" to 15". And likely what with generous tolerances and engineering, not so bad the other way.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For Gen 3, the EPS motor was different, the steering ratio was different and the turning circle was much larger. On the Gen 4, it's the same EPS motor and steering ratio. The turning circle is nearly identical to each other (I think a 1-2m difference? compared to 3-4m for the Gen 3).

Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.