1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius seat

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by randomwalk101, Mar 26, 2016.

1. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    it appears that the 2016 Prius three doesn't have lumbar support thus not too comfortable. Anyone knows of a good lumbar support to help with this?

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe duct tape some pillows on it?:D There might be those things at Staples where there's a netting that wraps around the office chair and makes it stick out for more lumbar support.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just google car seat lumbar support, there are tons of options on amazon.

4. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lol. Already ordered two from Amazon to try out. Will be here tomorrow :)

Well I guess the best way is to peel back the seat cover and put a small pillow in there for lumbar support. That is the cheapest way. Having a pillow works but it slides around when you get in/out.

bisco likes this.
  5. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just found out that Wet Okole will have patterns for seat covers for the Gen 4 in about 2 weeks. For an additional $29 per seat, they will build air-inflatable lumbar supports into the front seatbacks:
    Toyota Prius (Series: Hybrid , V , C , Base) Standard Color Seat Covers - Wet Okole Hawaii
    I've had Wet Okoles in my past 3 cars and really like them. I probably won't get them for my Gen 4 because my seats are black, though it's tempting because even without the lumbar supports they do add comfort. They're made from a neoprene wetsuit-like fabric so they are waterproof (originally designed for surfers). I actually like the feel of them better than leather, which I have had in two cars.

#5 JohnF, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  6. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Okay so this is my little contribution to the forum's knowledge :)

The back seat is taken apart relatively easy on the 2016 Prius (and possibly other year/models). Again, I wanted to take them apart to insert some foam on the seat back for lumbar support. The good thing about doing this is you add the foam (or cloth or whatever you have) little by little until the support is perfect for you.

Anyways, the seat's back has a little flat that is held together by an elastic string that is simply hooking to a plastic piece. Simply unhook it and peel the lower back cover back. Then you will see three plastic hook that is holding the seat's back. Unhook these plastic hook and push them under the seat toward the front...then you can pull the seat cover back from the front and reach your hand in there to access the underneath to insert your foam support. After you get the right amount of foam, simply push the cover back and tug them underneat (with the plastic hooks) and put everything back.. Seat now feels 100% better...and it's free :)

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done, thanks!