1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 rear mesh cargo cover permanent removal - impossible?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wr69, Jun 18, 2024 at 1:30 PM.

1. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    someone tell me I'm stupid, but I'm trying to remove the rear cargo mesh cover permanently so i can stow large cargo items. the cover is a lightweight mesh with bendy wire frame. there are three attachment points: 2 on the trunk body and 1 on the liftback door. I cannot seem to remove the loop of string on the liftback, as its too tight and wrapped on this mushroom peg, which doesn't come off. what the heck? if its really impossible, this is a dumb design. what am i missing?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried grasping the loop clasp with pliers and working it off?

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Go down to the dealership and ask them how much those shrooms cost. That way you can decide, if you just want to break them off.
    That's the cheap flip-up cargo panel cover; the retractable one is much nicer and you can retrofit it into your car. The shrooms needs to come off and get replaced with a flat trim piece.

Can't you buy real shrooms there?????

#3 BiomedO1, Jun 18, 2024 at 1:54 PM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2024 at 2:00 PM