1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2016 sl and sv leaf 107 aer, better waranty

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Sep 10, 2015.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2016 Nissan LEAF: 107 Miles EPA Range - Full Specs/Pricing
    The gen II is rumored to be available Q2 2017. This is a in cycle upgrade
    Plug-In Electric Car Sales On Pace To Double Hybrids In First Five Years After Introduction

retired4999 likes this.
  2. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, still not quite enough for me, but it's mostly because of winter time anxiety, especially if say, you get stuck in a traffic jam. As I don't have workplace charging, that might cause range anxiety if it's really cold outside. I'm sure it would work, but I'd feel more comfortable knowing I could go at least 150 miles in winter weather in a pure EV.

Still, good to see that Nissan, like GM, is making incremental improvements to their plug-ins.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither me too, but I have to admit that the leafy thing is scaling up nicely.

I used to call it a $40,000 DOT-approved, climate controlled golf cart with seating for 4, but the range keeps going up (slowly) and the before-kickback price keeps dropping - and you can buy them in fly-over country.

It's not a car that I'm going to buy----but they're chipping away at the cost-versus-range problem....that's for sure!

Win-Win for the eco-chic and petrol haters.

Elon?
    Where's the $35,000, 200 mile, 5 pax model? :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, i'm looking for 140 or so, which will hopefully give me 90 with heat.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say an important change is the waranty and thus expected longevity of the battery improvements. The outgoing car was rated for 57 miles epa highway for 5 years, versus 72 miles epa highway for 8 years 100,000 miles on the new one,

Nissan and bmw agree with your range equation. They have both said 300 km, or 186 miles is the goal range. I have no idea on the test, but that probably means 150 miles or more epa. Rumors are Q2 2017 for the gen II leaf.

The model 3 is promised for 2017, which given tesla's history it is likely 2018, 3 short years from now. To do the car at that price musk says the gigafactory must be humming along.

The gen II leaf is promised a little bit before that. Its not a race. Batteries improve over time, and then you need to freeze your design for testing.

The volt's battery in 5 years became 20% smaller per kwh, the leaf's 20% smaller/kwh (or you can fit 25% more power in the same space. If this trend continues in 10 years - 2025 a 47 kwh battery would fit in the same space on a leaf. The gen II will likely increase the space for the battery to grow faster. The volt may simply shrink the battery, taking up 64% of the space for the same 18.4 kwh battery. Weight is falling slightly slower than battery size but cost are falling faster. In 10 years I would expect the same size battery to cost only half as much.

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I have one sitting in my garage that can go 140 miles (conservatively). But Toyota does not want you to buy it from them. Can easily do 110 miles in heat.

Ashlem and austingreen like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Forgot where I came across this rule of thumb, but it likely goes back to people making EV conversions.

For determining acceptable range for an EV, you use the rule of thirds. On the everyday trip the car will be used for, a third of its range is for the outbound leg, a third for return trip, and a third for just in case. For the errands that may come up, traffic, detours, weather effects on range.

Following that, a 90 mile BEV will work for me.

Considering the cost of the car, and that the longer the range, the more usable it becomes for more people, a 150 mile range will likely be a better sales success than those BEVs with shorter ranges.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I was hoping the next rev will be their promised 200 mile range jobbie rather than the mid cycle upgrade. They better darn well have an active thermal management system by the time the 200 mile rev comes - because you know darn well the Tesla model 3 version will have it - because having a passive system is what speeds battery capacity degradation over the years.

#8 hill, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    really, what is it?

PLSPUSH likes this.
  10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

It's the Rav4EV gen2. It's a Tesla in a Toyota clothing.

Dianne Whitmore had leased 2. She still has one, sold one already. She can sell you an used one if you want. I think she has one on her lot now.

austingreen and bwilson4web like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a sheep in wolf's clothing?:cool: