1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Two Eco - tire recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by King_V, Nov 7, 2023.

1. King_V

King_V New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    All,

Ok, so, I've done a bit of searching, and, came out a bit confused/overwhelmed.

My 2016 Prius Two Eco has about 64,000 miles on it, on the original set of 195/65R15 Toyo NanoEnergy A29 tires. Well, mostly original, one was replaced at 23K miles due to a puncture that was bad enough as to be too much for the sealant to deal with.

So, I'm figuring on going for a new set. Now, I know that a new set, even of the same exact tire, is likely to reduce fuel economy a little for a bit of time. That said, and, knowing that the general wisdom from my brief searching seems to be to use the same tires as original, but also knowing that it's been 7 years, so maybe there are better options. Thus: What do you recommend? With the caveat that, when it comes to:
    • Fuel economy
    • Quietness
    • Traction
    I'd like to not lose anything, but if there's a worthwhile tradeoff. Of course, in a perfect, magical world, I'd like to see improvements in all three categories, but, I know, wishful thinking.

johnjamis likes this.
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I use Nokian WRg4 "All Weather" tires 195/65HR15 tires. They are LRR (good MPG), strong (max air 51 PSI), ride well and almost as good as winter tires in bad weather. A similar, somewhat lower cost, option is General Altimax 365AW which I just put on my wife's Subaru Crosstrek

JeffD

3. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Tires span a very wide range of compounds, so ultimately before anyone can answer that, we need to know your driving style, how much or tire your looking to spend, and the weather you want them for. Tires make very little difference in mpg like 1%-2% or about 1mpg. I've seen zero difference using non energy saver tires in my hybrids.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Then you haven't done a proper analysis. I have seen a 5-10% variation in MPG especially in cold weather when the rubber in non-LRR tires gets hard.

JeffD

5. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Actually it's called knowing how to drive a hybrid and what really effects mpg. You should really learn more about cars before telling someone their analysis is wrong. The 5-10% variation your seeing has almost nothing to do with the tires and everything to do with the cold weather and winter fuel. Energy saver tires simply don't make a 5-10% difference, even according to the manufacturers of them. The average difference they make is about 2%, with the biggest difference being what tires were being run before the switch. It's a known fact that winter fuel has about 2% less energy than summer fuel. Cars also get worse mpg in cold weather, and hybrids get effected worse. Espw ones with li-ion batteries that are known to perform poorly in the cold, which is exactly why Toyota put NIMH batteries in the AWD Prius still. The same topic was discussed yesterday on a different Toyota forum and the topic is constantly brought up.......

"Cold weather and winter driving conditions can significantly reduce fuel economy. Fuel economy tests show that, in city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is roughly 15% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 24% for short (3- to 4-mile) trips.

The effect on hybrids is typically greater - with fuel economy dropping about 30% to 34% under these conditions. For hybrids, fuel economy typically decreases by 20% to 40% in city driving and 25% to 45% on short trips."

Fuel Economy in Cold Weather | Department of Energy.

"The typical low-rolling resistance tire should save somewhere between 1.0% and 4.0% per gallon compared to a traditional all-season that does not have low-rolling resistance features."

November 2023 Fuel Efficient Tires - Right for my Vehicle?

I'll take 2mpg less to make sure the car stops and responds properly in bad weather any day of the week.

#5 Drakxyfly, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  6. syncro87

syncro87 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried some Yokohamas, didn’t like them, got really noisy. Just switched them out, back to the Toyo A29. So much better.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’d take that with a grain of salt; have replaced tires with “LRR” and seen mpg plummet. Nobody’s policing the tire manufacturers who’re making the claims AFAIK.

8. King_V

King_V New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Well, I live in NJ, so, we do get snow, and rain. I don't know what my driving style is exactly. I more or less follow how the Prius's on-screen info tries to get me to drive, when practical to do so. The Prius has made me a very laid-back, casual driver. Not sure if that helps?

9. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    That data is from independent sources not manufactures. Tirerack has also done independent testing showing same results. On top of that you ALWAYS are going to see a drop in mpg when going from old worn tires to new ones because of the increased tread, which means more resistance, weight ect.....
    https://www.tirerack.com/landing/fuel_efficiency.jsp?tab=Research

#9 Drakxyfly, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  10. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Perfect information. Michelin Cross Climate 2 and Bridgestone weather peak are the two I would look into if I lived in your area based on your driving style.

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Especially a larger diameter so fewer revolutions/mile, but that is a change in odometer calibration, not a true drop in MPG.

JeffD

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have had replacement tires billed as LRR, that didn’t drop mpg a jot, even slightly improved. Specifically: Bridgestone Ecopia EP20.

And I’ve had replacement tires billed as LRR, that gave significant mpg drop, at least 15%, and took well over a year to start a partial recoup. Specifically: Michelin Primacy MXM4.

In both instances the older tires were comparable size, well worn, by the same manufacturers, and all tires had the manufacturer’s LRR designation.

13. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yes but people only go by what they "see" on the dash from the computer. Rarely does anyone actually calculate their mpg manually tank by tank.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With my gen 3 the car’s displayed mpg has proven to be optimistic by about 7%, but consistently so.

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Your tire diameter (revs/mile) affects the accuracy of the computer and gas fill calculations. Using your GPS is not affected.

JeffD

16. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Every manufacturer seems to be optimistic

Exactly my point, so not sure what your arguing about. You said that it's not a "true drop in mpg". Hence my response to you saying that. And besides that there are MANY other factors that also have an impact on that number the computer displays on the dash such as recent driving style, ambient temps ect ect. Regardless a larger diameter absolutely does have a negative affect on mpg, even if the computer is displaying that drop accurately or not. In this case it's temporary until the new tires wear down a little, usually about 2/32.

#16 Drakxyfly, Nov 10, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  17. King_V

King_V New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    It's probably also worth adding that I'm not really concerned with snow driving per se as much. They're pretty good with salt and sand being put down quickly here, and plowing, so, most often, winter weather is more like slush, maybe some ice in the worst case. In the past 2 decades, I think I've had to drive through actual snow maybe 4 or 5 times total.

Not sure if that makes a difference in recommendations.

18. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Still the same two Michelin and Bridgestone

19. Prius DIY nut

Prius DIY nut Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I personally like Michelin Defender T+H A/S tires. They are rated low resistance too.
    They provided good fuel economy, good tracking and low(er) road noise comparing to other cheaper brands I previously tried. Not coming back to cheaper ones, they cost more in the end.

20. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The Defenders are.loke a step below the CC2 but still good tire