1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 12 volt battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by parked, Dec 1, 2023.

1. parked

parked Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2017 12 V battery just died on the side of the road after listening to music for like 15-20 minutes, so I guess it’s time to replace it.

When I called Costco, the guy said he knew for certain their 51R battery doesn’t fit because Toyota apparently uses slightly smaller terminals. I was pretty surprised, because I’ve never heard of such a thing.

Has anyone else had this problem, and do you know what particular battery model I need to look for?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’d check with dealership parts department first. They tend to be pricey, but it will be just what you need. Then try automotive retailers, preferably online: most will allow you to enter vehicle stats, then will show what they have that’s compatible.

Using the radio with the car not full on is tough on the battery btw; best to have the car fully on, what Toyota calls “ready”.

parked likes this.
  3. parked

parked Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your reply, Mendel.

I’ve been searching a little online, and I think the Costco guy might be mistaken.

The Interstate Battery website says my car takes a DIN (German designation) H4 battery, which another site says is equivalent to a BCI group 140R battery. The battery posts should be regular SAE type A, so I’m not sure what the Costco guy was saying.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    easy enough to measure a post in an auto parts store

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    parked likes this.
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The Costco guy is mistaken, you've got round battery post - all the same. You've just got to make sure the positive post is in the correct position. The positive post is slightly larger than the negative post. So if you try to install a group 140 battery instead of a group 140R, you'll reverse the polarity, while attempting to install it into the car. The positive post on a group 140 battery is on the opposite side; that's if a group 140 battery exists. I know this holds true for the group 24 battery vs 24R. Not the first time I've seen an idiot do this!!!
    On a pre-ECU car, no harm - no foul. On our cars, that's several thousands is damage.

Hope this helps....

7. parked

parked Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all your help, everyone.
    I did some researching over the weekend and made a spreadsheet with some basic information. (Maybe a little overkill) Hopefully it's beneficial to anyone else who needs to replace their battery too.

I'm having problems uploading a pdf or an image, so I've linked an image of the pdf here: temp Imageq MOas T — Postimages
    If I can figure out how to upload a pdf, I'll come back and add it here.

Bottom line: it looks like I can get an AC Delco absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery in the right size for less than I can get a traditional flooded battery. Great deal from some online sellers. I'll likely go with Summit Racing at $152+tax, free shipping, no core. Most other retailers charge $250+ for a comparable battery. The AGM will be an upgrade which should last longer and give me more radio time.

AC Delco is a GM company, and they don't list any applications for other car manufacturers, even though some of their applications use the same exact size. I've since learned that BCI Group 140R, DIN H4, and EN LN1 are all the same batteries. Same dimensions, same terminal locations and polarity.

Battery Group Sizes and Cross Reference Chart with pictures | BCI, EN, DIN Codes

bisco likes this.
  8. parked

parked Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a pdf of my comparison shopping, with clickable links: Dropbox - Prius Batteries.pdf - Simplify your life

A lot of the specifications from the websites are dubious. For example, Summit Racing and Rock Auto list the exact same battery, but their weights differ significantly. One site even lists two different weights within the same listing.

#8 parked, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  9. parked

parked Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just following up to add a fixed link to what I found was the best deal. (The link in my pdf included a session id, which breaks it for other users.)

LN1 AGM
    ACDelco 88866037 ACDelco Gold Automotive AGM Batteries | Summit Racing

This is both the best battery (because it's an AGM) and the cheapest I found.
    Landed on my doorstep for $166 including CA tax, free shipping, perfectly packaged and handled. No core charge. Took about 10 minutes to install and is working perfectly.

[​IMG]

bisco likes this.
  10. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    parked likes this.
  11. parked

parked Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's an intriguing upgrade. That write-up is for a 60 Ah battery, which is a 20% improvement in charge over the 50 Ah AGM battery I bought, but given enough space, one might fit an even higher capacity battery. The penalty is of course, added weight you're dragging around and dragging down your MPG with no daily benefit. The benefit for me would be those occasions where I ran the battery down listening to the radio on the side of the road or while camping.

My old OEM battery is actually in pretty good shape still, and I might wire that up to the battery backup for my home security cameras, modem, and router.

12. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    John Kelly of Weber University warns against putting an AGM in a car designed with a lead acid battery (and vice-versa) due to charging algorithms (via the ECU) being different.
    Toyota’s replacement battery warranty beats every body else. FWIW

13. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't the Toyota battery an AGM type to start with?

14. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Not in the 16-22 gen4's and 17-22 Primes. Regular old battery in the engine bay it's just a funky size

sylvaing and Doug McC like this.
  15. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent information! I've been keeping an eye on my wife's original 12-volt in her 2017 Prius 2 and, before winter, it was still testing at 100%. I'll have to go check it again since it's been wicked cold this past month. It does sit in the garage most of the time so is pampered.
    I'll call dealer for a quote on what they want but if it's over $200 probably will go with the Walmart Everstart for $159.

16. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    While you’re talking to the dealership ask about the warranty. That info might effect your decision.

17. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I bought a duralast gold battery from autozone for my 17 tundra and it came with a 3 year free replacement warranty. They didn't give me any trouble swapping it out for a new one after 2 years when my truck killed it by mistake - the switch for the brake lights got dislodged by the pedal and we didn't notice the brake lights stayed on after we parked and paid no attention to the truck for a month. I brought it in, they tested it, it was dead and they handed me a new battery.

ColoradoBoo and Doug McC like this.