1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 All dash lights on, won't go into gear, won't turn on

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by coopa1991_pearly, Sep 1, 2023.

1. coopa1991_pearly

coopa1991_pearly New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am posting this for anyone that runs into the same problem I did...

Bought a 2017 prius two with 122k miles on it. This is the first hybrid I've ever owned as well. Drove it with absolutely no problems for a week... LOVED it. One day I decided to clean the battery fan filter which I had been told was one of the biggest points of failure since Toyota put them in. It was difficult to actually find anything online (in a quick search) of where the battery fan filter was on the 2017 so I just did a lot of looking around the back seat and found the grate under the right back passenger seat. Opened it up and didn't notice the filter on the backside of the grate itself. I did notice the little orange plug and thought it might be a pullout filter tray. So I pulled it out, realized it wasn't the filter, and put it back in. Found the filter, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. Go out the next morning to leave and the car wouldn't turn on and EVERY error message and dash warning light came on and the car would not go into D or R. One of the messages was hybrid system malfunction and I thought GREAT, I GOT A PROBLEM CAR!!! After every bit of troubleshooting I could do on my own (testing the 12v, running codes, checking parking sensors, disconnecting the negative terminal, trying to jump the car with another car, charging the 12v over night) nothing was working and I was sure I was going to have to have the car towed 20 miles to the Toyota dealership. So one last effort of desperation was to retrace my steps. I went back to that little orange plug, took it out again, inspected it, and reinserted it making sure I seated it VERY well... with care. Tried to turn the car on one more time, with an enormous amount of prayer, and it turned on! I felt stupid and relieved at the same time... The dash warning lights went away immediately but the messages remained. After having turned the car off and on a few times since then, the warning messages have gone away as well.

I hope this helps someone. There was no amount of searching for "all warning lights on, car won't turn on" that led me to this resolution so I'm posting this in the hopes that I can save someone an expensive, unnecessary trip to the dealership by a simple solution to at least check before going to the dealership.

Cheers!

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks like you pulled the High Voltage Battery safety plug. This is to avoid being electrocuted when working with the high voltage battery or its wiring. All high voltage wiring is orange in color and I believe it's the standard for every manufacturers.

3. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    It is absolutely amazing how taking the time to download the Owners Manual and reading it makes life a whole lot easier.