1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius planning for new 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by TinyTim, Nov 23, 2023.

1. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota sent me an email for 25% off genuine Toyota parts. The True Start 12v battery for my Prius would be $154 after the 25% off discount for black Friday. Is that about as good as it gets for a new genuine Prius battery? I have been charging my 12v once every other week. It has no issues at all but I know they are supposed to last 8 years. It's getting to that point and for preventative maintenance, I was thinking about pickup up a new battery. I figure that I can use the current battery for another year and charge up the new battery once a month until I replace it.

Should I wait until my battery dies or pick up a new battery?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you can get that price, I’d go for it.
    But call them first, a lot of people go in and are told it doesn’t apply to the Prius

TinyTim likes this.
  3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    FWIW.... At 8 years.... I would buy this sales price battery and replace now.

Trollbait and TinyTim like this.
  4. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The battery has the potential to last 8 years however they often last a lot less (kind of like us humans, we can live for over 100 years but most don’t ). That’s a pretty good price (and it might require the old one to be exchanged). Either way, I’d go for it.

TinyTim likes this.
  5. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The battery is through Toyota and their genuine parts dealership network. Not all Toyota stealerships participate in the program. The worst they could do would be to cancel my order. I have used the Toyota site before without any issues. If they want the battery they can swap it out. I will swap it myself, that's not a problem. I credit my charging program with my 12v for the battery lasting as long as it has without any issues. I have a 10amp charger/conditioner/disulfate 7 stage charger setup as well as another 4amp battery tender charger as backup.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in that case, your current battery is probably like new.

please let us know if they honor the price

7. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It’s a good price. If you do replace you might want to put on a battery monitor. Best advice I have gotten so far on this site is the battery monitor. Put one on both vehicles now. I need to manually charge even more than I was, I learned. Or a battery monitor tells also about the old battery as it ages.
    I want to run a cable to the hatch from the battery so as to charge in the hatch area. I suppose I have to figure it out.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have a link for that?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this looks interesting, let's you check static voltage with car off. not sure about the clips though, could fall off from vibration

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Another thing they do is put an extra $20 "core charge" on the price, when you cash-and-carry through the parts department, which you get back when you give them the old battery.

11. Zzz

Zzz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just went to my local "car recycling center" (aka: junk yard) and picked up a replacement for $30. They had a few to choose from and it looked almost new. I have been using repurposed car batteries for decades.
    When people start having problems with starting their cars, it is common to replace the battery. Next they find there are other problems and then scrap the car. In summary, it is common to find almost-new batteries there. You can tell the age by the sticker on the battery. For some reason the manufacturers many times use a letter-number code where the letter is the month (A = January, B = February ... L = December) and the number is the last digit of the year.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    parking lot battery swap, or sell it on ebay for 50 bucks

#12 bisco, Nov 24, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2023