1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius plastic underbody panel fastener

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by srivenkat, Sep 27, 2021.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi All,

I happened to recently run over a large piece of a tractor trailer tire tread that tore away the front piece of my 2017 Prius fende rliner (pasenger side) and also caused some damage to some of the panels underneath the car. The plastic panel right below the passenger door seems to be fastened to the body using the a funky looking round fastener (picture of the fastener from the driver side attached) that is now missing from the passenger side. Wondering what the part number of that would be and if it simply fastens like a nut and if it would require a special tool to fasten with.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The attached pic looks to me like a 10mm hex head screw or bolt - to be sure take a 10mm socket to it. If it's a pointy ended screw it is most likely the same as the 3 screws used on the little oil change door under the engine. Best way to know for sure is to remove and compare. Than you've got twice as many chances of finding the right part number online.
    I'm not quite sure which clips you're talking about for the fenders, there's a ton of different fasteners types under the car.
    I need 7 clips for my under engine cover too. I have an assortment pack of clips and one comes close to fitting, but that one that almost fits only seems to work once and falls out the second time I try to use them.
    The others are either too long or too wide where they fit through the hole

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Those are weird fasteners, I believe similar to ones used on side panels on 3rd gen. They unscrew, somehow, but seem to just spin but not back out, when you just turn the head with a screw driver. Think you need to pry at the same time??

upload_2021-9-29_12-39-6.png

vvillovv likes this.
  5. NorCal PiP

NorCal PiP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Why did you feel you had to chime in when you clearly had no direct answer? Everything that followed "looks to me..." is complete conjecture and complete bs. These are plastic pieces that are easily spun onto a threaded stud. They fit snuggly using using fingers and really big phillips head. If you don't know what you are talking about then keep a lid on it.