1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime - official prices paid thread

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Will_Prius16, Dec 20, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not what you owe the fed on 4-15-18, it's your total liability for the year. if your liability is $4,500. or more, and you have already paid some or all of it, you will get it back.
    if your liability is anything above zero, but less than $4,500. you will get that amount back.

2. Spector

Spector Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First time new car buyer here. Not a Prius Prime owner yet, but I placed an order and my deposit since they didn't have the color I wanted on a PLUS. I live in the pacific north west (I wish I lived close to New England based on the deals you guys are getting.. lucky!)

MSRP: $27,995 (standard plus, no additional features... includes the destination charge)
    Dealer offered discount: -$100
    Rebates: n/a (for now)
    Agreed to pay: $27,895 (once the car arrives)
    Out the door: $28,700 (with taxes and fees)
    (not sure if I will get much on the tax credits though)

Assuming I don't get the tax incentives or rebates, curious what you guys think, is it a good deal or not?

I may or may not get a rebate discount when the car arrives in 2-3 months (salesman said it would be unlikely since it would be a 2018 model... which I found odd because Toyota hasn't even announced a 2018 version). Assuming I don't get anymore discounts, is it a good deal that I got at least $100 off on an order (even though its still much higher than average market price)?

I was told that since I ordered the car, its less incentives for the dealers who rather sell a car in the lot. So, paying MSRP is expected for special orders.... is that true?.... but even for an order, could I have paid lower?

I showed them KBB, Edmonds and TrueCar fair prices showing people had paid much lower than the $27,895 I agreed to pay, but the salesman kept showing me an invoice on how much 'they' paid for the car, with their invoice amount. Their invoice price was $27,500 which is higher than KBB and the other sites, they said they don't know where the invoice amounts are coming from on these sites implying it wasn't accurate. They indicated between the invoice price and MSRP there wasn't much room to haggle a better discount.

Reading how some of you who bought Advance's paid close to what I will be paying for my Plus, really makes me feel like I am getting screwed big time.

Is there anyone else here that ordered a Prime? how much did you get in discounts just by haggling? (I am not a good haggler)

#642 Spector, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  3. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You need to be really clear on what you mean when you say "owe".
    For federal taxes, you compute your total tax for the year, then compare that to your withholdings (essentially what you pre-paid) and determine whether you get a refund or must pay some more. When you say "owe" you must be clear as to if you are referring to your total tax or just the amount you must pay on top of what you have already had withheld.

The $4500 is a credit subtracted from your total tax. Your total tax cannot be less than zero.
    For the three cases above, if when you say "owe" you were referring to your total tax, then yes, you are correct.
    The credit cannot reduce your total tax to less than zero.

If you already had money withheld and your actual total tax was much higher and when you say "owe" you were referring to whether you had to pay more or would get a refund, then you are not correct.

For example. In your case (c) above you said "we do not owe"...
    If by "we do not owe" your case was actually that you had a total tax for the year of $5000 and magically you had exactly $5000 withheld then you are not understanding. In this specific case, here's what would happen if you did and did not buy a Prius Prime
    IF you did not but a Prime, you would neither need to make additional payments or get a refund because you had exactly the right amount withheld. Line 78 of form 1040 would say you "owe" zero.
    IF you did buy a Prime, then your total tax for the year would be reduced to $498 (after the $4502 credit) and since you had $5000 withheld, you would see a refund of $4502 because your withholdings exceeded your total tax.

Hopefully that is clear...

4. Simbha

Simbha New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes I think it is clear now (hope so :)).
    When I said "owe" what I meant was that after my monthly tax withheld from paycheck if I still had to pay some tax at end of year (due to less monthly withheld as I may have given additional deductions-this happened last year and had to take IRA at the end).

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    pricing is geographic. if you are not locked into this purchase, check with several dealers in the area to compare. i think the northwest isn't discounting much.
    if you want a great deal, buy one in the northeast, we have the best discounts. all the best!(y)

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, your total liability is the sum of the monthly tax and what you had to pay at the end. that amount is eligible for tax credit. you will get a check back from the feds.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  7. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not to rain on your parade (although living in the Northwest you're probably used to that), in your wet shoes, I'd fly back East to one of the dealers mentioned in this forum who have tremendous deals; you could get an Advanced model for less than the current offer at your local all-wet Northwest dealer, and probably have money left over after the trip. Had I known when I purchased mine, that's what I'd have done.

bisco likes this.
  8. TheRealJohn

TheRealJohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

9. TheRealJohn

TheRealJohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Like others said, I would check out other regions. Ohio had us paying MSRP and waiting 2 months. I flew to NY and got $3500 Toyota rebate. Mass was $3125. Toyota has several regions in the US And the incentives are different per region. Just google some dealers in states that have zero emissions regulations like CA and NY to see.

At the end of the day after Toyota and the 4500 tax credit and paying Ohio tax, I am at $24200 OTD for my premium

bisco and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  10. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In NY and NJ there is a toyota discount of $3500 on 2017 models, but most of the dealers will still show you invoice price and will tell the same story that below invoice price is a loss for them, but there are few dealers, who can go below invoice price. If you are getting a 2018 model, then for your location and price it is still a good deal. So far no one knows what changes are in 2018 model.

HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  11. Simbha

Simbha New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am still working on this.

Dealer 1 told absolutely nothing more he could do. If pushed hard maybe down by $100 or so.

Dealer 2 said he could do invoice plus 0% APR.
    From Internet I find that invoice of Prime Advanced is $31,776.
    But dealer says $33,840.
    Any idea what is the actual invoice price for Prime Advanced?
    This is for Bay Area, CA. Not sure if location matters as tax is separate anyways.

12. Simbha

Simbha New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On a relative note, I just came across Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. I know it was launched in Europe and Japan 3-4 years ago (quite successful there) and was delayed multiple times for US launch. Current ETA is Nov 2017 - Jan 2018.
    This is Plug-in Hybrid SUV. They claim 25-30 miles in electric. But also says ~150+ mpg. (maybe the MPGe?) Not sure how they calculate it.
    It also qualifies for higher federal rebate (> $5000).
    Price range seems same around $35K.
    Anyone else did some research on this?

13. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A difference between your "internet" number and their quote might be the various fees charged and options added.
    I've seen invoice quoted as $31776 (no fees, or options like special paint, or other accessories like wheel locks)
    I've also seen invoice quoted as $32661 (KBB does this because they add the $885 destination fee).
    My guess is that the car you were looking at had some additional options that added another $1179 to the invoice price.
    Special paint (red or pearl) will add $352 to the invoice.
    Body side molding will add $125 to the invoice
    The Carpet Mat package adds another $139 to the invoice.

OK, so there's still more than a $500 gap between their quote and what I listed but without knowing the exact window sticker, it's hard to make a better guess.

14. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, today is the last day of current Toyota incentive period. Will they keep the same huge incentive ($3125 or $3500) for PRIME sold in NE after today? With no 2018 model in sight, I think they will. :cautious:

15. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prime Advanced/Titanium Glow - Black
    $34857 (cross bars, door edge molding, wheel locks, carpet mats)
    $3500 Toyota Incentive + $500 dealer knockdown (this is my 3rd Prius and 6th car I've bought from them).
    $30857 Selling Price
    $33021 out the door (including $295 title and 7% NJ sales tax)
    Towne Toyota in Randolph, NJ

This is my 3rd Prius (had a gen 2 & 3 - 2 was destroyed with my son behind the wheel after being hit by a semi that lost control going uphill in a snowstorm. 3 is still running strong with 205K miles on it. Also had a Highlander HB which my wife loved but ultimately wasn't big enough for the family (we had five children and had just adopted a 6th).

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)

17. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope they are giving $3000 off now or 0.9% interest. Still a great deal IMHO.

Unsupervised!

#657 drash, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Salamander_King likes this.
  18. followingalex

followingalex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    After reading this thread I realize I got a heck of a deal with the $3500 rebate that ended in September, a NY state $1,100 rebate, plus the tax credit of $4,500 next year -- and my negotiating their MSRP to roughly 8% lower to counter sales tax. no doc fees in NY, so all in all great deal. Now if we could only have had better "Toyota entune" support.. it feels like such a gimmick app. I was fooled to think the infotainment and app suite would be much more "up to date" with today's IoT trends.. maybe that's where the 2018 will shine..

19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, NY/NJ rebate has reduced to $3000 from $3500. I am getting no special offer for NE states where used to be $3125 rebate. Current model Primes must be gone soon.

20. demart

demart New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live in Florida where they don't sell Prius Prime. I wanted to buy one from Toyota of Manhattan. But they told me that the $3000 rebate is unavailable to out-of-state purchasers. Has anyone from Florida gotten this $3000 (or $3500) rebate?