1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Two Clockspring Model?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Khantroll, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Khantroll

Khantroll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello All,

For nearly a year now, none of the buttons my steering wheel have worked, and the airbag light on my dash is on. I asked the dealership to troubleshoot it, and they have determined that my clockspring is bad. They wanted a frankly insane amount of money to replace it (well over $1000), so I've been living with out it.

But I really want my cruise control back, and I've seen online that it isn't the worst repair. However, is there a difference in these clocksprings for those models with adaptive cruise controls?

Ebay lists different ones, with some of the cheapest saying "not for those with parking assist or HUD" (which mine obviously doesn't have). I tried Car-Part, and it says, "Modules And Sensors (w/angle sensor)" and "Modules And Sensors (w/o angle sensor)"; again, not sure if that is part of the lane assist or not.

Toyota lists 3 different part numbers, with no way on any of the sites I've tried to narrow down the correct one for my car.

Does anyone know if it matters, or how to tell without tearing into the car and matching the numbers off the actual part?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    beware chinese clock springs

Khantroll likes this.
  3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a thread in the pancake house with a you.tube link about very expensive repairs, No replies yet but there were 208 views so far. It's bad ju-ju to start talking about repair costs, flat tires, or a host of other maladies that a certain Murphy person may visit upon an unsuspecting you. Best not to throw caution to the wind. But I would get that one fixed ASAP. Broke clock spring and air bag light means your supplemental restraint system (SRS) will not function as designed. Not just an inconvenience. Could be deadly.

4. Khantroll

Khantroll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I'll get it fixed if I can figure out the right part or a shop to do it cheaper. I'm just not paying 1/5 the cost of the car to fix it when I won't keep this car longer then 3 more years. At that point, I'd be better off to take whatever hit Carmax or Carvana want to charge me, pay off the note and buy something else.

But eventually, I'll figure out how to narrow this down and get the right one.

5. Khantroll

Khantroll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I've figured it out just now actually. If you have lane-keeping assist, you have the angle sensor. Ergo, I need the one with the angle sensor.