1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius v (still a lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) LED turn signal questions

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Paul Anderegg, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Paul Anderegg

Paul Anderegg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was going to install a hide-a-way strobe warning light kit in the taillight housing, but thought it might be simpler to hack into an LED turn signal.

So, the 2017 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon because only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation) uses 7440 bulbs for turn in the back. I have a 7440 LED in amber from superbrightleds.com. I am assuming I will get hyperblink, but the little load resistor I also got says it is not compatible with the Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon because only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation) . My final result I am going for is normal blink rate LED turn signals, WITH the capability of hooking up a police LED strobe controller to allow them to strobe in a warning pattern as well.

I thought if I put the LED bulbs in, wire the load resistors in, then wire the strobe controller between the LED and the load resistor, I would get normal blink rate LED turn signal, but also have the warning flash pattern by splicing into the turn signal bulb wire past the load resistor. Am I correct in assuming if I try to strobe through a load resistor, that won't work?

Also, Wth is CAN-BUS, and does it matter for what I am doing? I thought CAN-BUS was a sensor to throw a dashlight if your bulb burns out.

Paul

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited