1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 V humming noise when ICE kicks in

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pickled_ogo, Apr 11, 2024.

1. pickled_ogo

pickled_ogo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hey everyone,

I have noticed lately that at lower speeds especially when the engine kicks in there is a slight vibrating/humming noise. It's quite faint; but I can hear it. It does not sound like knocking. This is my first hybrid so not sure if this is normal? Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty tough to diagnose over the internet, can you post an audio clip?

3. pickled_ogo

pickled_ogo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I unfortunately have not been able to record the sound because it's quite faint and hard to pick up with my phone. However; this morning while driving at low speeds it felt like the engine shook pretty hard for a second and the check engine light flashed once and turned off. I called the hybrid mechanic and they said it's not worth bringing in unless the check engine light stays on because they wouldn't be able to diagnose anything. Any thoughts? Safe to drive?

4. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Is it engine or wheels/ suspension making the noise?
    Humming is a unique description.
    Many compare humming noises to tires and not mechanical ones.
    Yes, diagnosing noises over the internet may be futile.
    Yes, the check engine light indicates a current code, yet perhaps there is a stored code a robust reader will list.

If you are a DIY mechanic, jack up the car, have an assistant run the throttle, while you crawl around under the car and over the engine listening.
    If a wheel /suspension noise this will be more difficult to find and may require an experienced suspension shop.

Lastly, hybrids do make noises a standard vehicle may not make.
    Good hunting.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is a low speed pedestrian warning - a high pitched tone produced by a speaker up front. Unless it is cv joint from your other thread.

Probably a misfire which causes a severe shake and rattle on a Prius. Normal misfires are frequent and bring up codes. Engine off to on misfires that clear up quickly can be an early head gasket leak. See if it keeps happening.

#5 rjparker, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
  6. vand8

vand8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    In my case, it's heat shields that rust out around the mounting holes. They then make a humming/buzzing sound when the ICE starts up and is still cold, though it usually goes away when the engine warms up and parts begin to expand, but this depends on how badly the shields have detached. I usually try to find the bad mounting points and remount the shield using a larger (stainless) fender washer to cover a larger portion of the heat shield.