1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2018-19 “Toyota Corolla sport”

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by MagnusAG99, Dec 26, 2018.

1. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone who have heard of this version? It has a C in the emblem instead of a T and has some new headlights... that better be matrix LED and not halogen and reflector... anyone who got anymore new on that?

Attached Files:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s just the Corolla hatchback.

All JDM models have their own emblem in the front; they don’t use the Toyota emblem (only in the rear).

Looks like multi-reflector LEDs. In North America, we get the projector LEDs only with the “J” signature LED DRLs

3. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mhmm... even more JDM exclusives then... when I took a closer look now it’s a RHD... so it’s probably JDM only... which will suck if it is... Toyota really needs some more visual changes in the trims, like BMW got the advanced trim, executive trim and M-sport trim... but when I looked at the AU market this is apparently it, it’s called the “accent sport”, and it does seem like it is halogen and reflectors just cause of the small DRL strip, if it was a top trim headlights the DRL would’ve been way “cooler” and “stylish”. U can even see the halogen bulbs in there in this pic...... that’s disspointing honestly, I thought we were past the 1980’s halogen and reflector era...

Attached Files:

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Saw one on a dealers lot a few weeks ago.
    Looks a little like the Prius C.
    I wonder if it only comes in the "sport" model at the moment ?

I also wonder if it might not replace the C, in a hybrid version, somewhere down the road.

5. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt it will take over the Prius C, cause the C is the Yaris. And it’s a huge size difference between the C/Yaris and the new Corolla.
    And I really don’t know... but since it’s called the “sport” I guess it’s the 2.0 hybrid option. Would seem a bit weird if they were to call all the engine sizes “sport” when the 2.0 is the only option that’s real sporty. And it would be a bit Weird if they were to only release one engine size first, they have the people and factory space to make all the options available as soon as its on pre order.

6. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think it's that way in Europe. But here in North America the C is the same as the Aqua in Japan. Our Yaris is made for Toyota by Mazda. They are saying here on Prius Chat that 2019 is indeed the last year for the Prius C in North America. Do I think the Hatchback Corolla will replace the Prius C? Absolutely. But it won't be called a Prius. The whole Prius lineup is selling horribly here with barely 6000 sold in the month of November. (That's ALL Prius models combined) Here, everyone wants something bigger. Not smaller. We've got Ford which is discontinuing EVERY car model it makes for our market (except for the Mustang) Cars are about as popular as a dead horse here.

But meh - the Prius line has done what it was supposed to. If the name goes away I'm good with that. It's tech will live on.

#6 dubit, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The Sport is a 5 door hatch back. It didn't look that much bigger.......but I didn't see them side by side to compare.

And I think you made a mistake with one word in the above sentence.
    I quite assure you that the Corolla Sport is NOT a hybrid.

Even when they can't really afford to pay for it.

Which is a testament to the incredible stupidity of the buying public.......at least in the US.

Gas prices will go UP again, maybe by a lot.
    And the CAFE standards will likely go back up again too.

Then when people want fuel efficient cars again......there won't be any.

#7 sam spade 2, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2018
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just stretch out the payments for another year.

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Were you trained by a car dealer ?? :ROFLMAO:

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But that's just for Australia... .not Norway. I'm not sure why it matters to you lol.

Is Norway getting a basic model with halogen headlights?

At the moment, we just get the 2.0 litre Dynamic Force engine with 168hp and a choice of a 6MT or CVT with launch gear. Europe gets two hybrid options (1.8 litre and 2.0 litre) as well as a 1.2 litre turbo (so our engine is exclusive to the North American market for now).

Toyota's pushing the hatchback as the sportier, younger person's car here. They'll leave the Corolla sedan to the general Corolla buyer (and why we see the hybrid option show up in the sedan first). A hotted-up version of the hatchback using a hybrid powertrain is possible but nothing's confirmed.

11. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota have said themselves theyve made the hybrids the fastest option tho... Its like that with every new gen toyota, new RAV4 2.5L hybrid is faster then the petrol and so on. And it says hybrid on the side of that corolla "sport" i shared the pic of higher up in the thread, why would it say sport on it if it wasent the fastest hybrid version? Which is the 2.0 hybrid 180hp as for right now. Toyota have said their "GR sports" department will release a GR sport if it aswell, but it most likely wont have any engine upgrades, as normal lol.

ive heard Chevy will drop the camaro aswell as soon as the corvette gets mid engine`d?

And i really dont know, wouldnt surprise me honestly... Yaris got reflector as base, same did the avensis base from what i remember...

And Norway atleast wont get the 1.2 turbo, only the 1.8 hybrid and 2.0 hybrid.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here for the Yaris - multi-reflector halogens as base CE and LE trims while SE trims get a projector halogen with LED DRLs.

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  13. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even BMW is milking the halogen and reflector lights lmao, the 1 series and 2 series comes with that as base, theyre 45 000 dollar cars for F`s sake... Same does audi with the A3, its amazing how we havent passed the reflector era. Even the new redisigned 2019 chevy silverado ( i think) is coming with halogen and reflectors! Same is the Hilux... Like what the heck...

14. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There could actually be a reason a manufacturer utilizes halogens instead of HID/LED. I say that because of a news spot I seen a year or so ago where Ford & GM were being sued because of accidents. Drivers in the oncoming lane blinded by HID/LED. You have to admit, even on low beams sometimes those vehicles are a bit blinding. I get flashed by oncoming drivers quite a bit because their thinking I have my bright lights on.

Could be other factors as well. Supplier issues, both for bulbs as well as headlight assemblies. One never knows but just because HID/LED & even Laser are out there, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a better fit in all applications.

Pretty good website here showing the pro's/cons's of each.

Battle Royale: Halogen vs. LED vs. HID vs. Laser — Which Is Better?

15. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ive never had any flash their lights at me personally, there is so many cars here with LED`s and HID`s. Only cars ive seen been flashed on is halogen and reflector lights, cause they seem to never be leveled correctly lmao. One ****!n annoying thing tho is people who dont put their lights in AUTO, i know in many cars if they dont sit in auto the auto height leveling system doesnt work, which then makes them blend AF... Id honestly much rather get blinded a bit more by oncoming traffic in humps by LED`s then not have LED`s on cars at all. Im never going back to halogen and reflectors again atleast. They dont light the road up at all compared to the prius i have now. I think if people get blinded by LED`s and HID`s its a problem with the auto height leveling system and not the lights themselves. Matrix LED`s is great tho, since they block out on coming traffic. Ive met loads of Opel/vauxhall`s with that and theyre great.

On trucks i guess most of the money goes to making it "tough", and not for lights... and Like, most trucks arent really used at night, theyre mostly used at daytime while people r at work. While normal cars r used 24/7.

16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe it is a simple matter of: Halogens provide PLENTY of light for driving in normal conditions at normal speeds.
    Trying to get brighter headlights creates more problems than it solves.......and costs more too.

Just think about an oncoming car being blinded just enough that it drifts into your lane and you meet front corners head-on.

I have not messed with the lights on a car since I replaced the incandescent sealed beams with halogen on my 1973 GMC pickup truck.

dubit likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. You must be a young'in haha.

Back in the 2000s, a CD player was optional on BMWs and MBs. (both here and Europe). Heck, by the time CD players were made standard, we've moved onto MP3 connectivity (either USB or 3.5mm AUX Jack). Around the same time, our Echo (Yaris) had a standard CD player in 2000 and standard CD/MP3 player by 2004. Oh yeah, cruise control was still an option on your 3 series.

So... things haven't really changed.

18. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CD players is still optional on BMW`s lol, thats never been standard here unfortunatly... Dont think cruise control is standard on the 1 or 2 series either (again, 40 000 dollars for the cheapest 116i manual WITH REFLECTOR HEADLIGHTS and 45 000 dollars for the cheapest 218i manual that still doesnt have LED`s as standard, but as an option..)... It was on the F30 3 series LCI tho(2016-2018, the F30 that costed 50 000 dollars base even had reflector and halogen from 2012-2016, insane...). But BMW has and still is milking literally EVERYTHING, only thing u get standard is a body and wheels, thats it... BMW is even milking reverse camera... 400 dollar option for a shitty 480p reversing camera... In USA i think u got new regulations about reverse camera`s thats taking action in 2019, where all cars that had reverse camera as options past 2019 has to have it in the base version as soon as we enter 2019. Wish we had that rule in Norway... But nope, milkey milkey... Milk everything as options. Ridiculous really. Whats even more ridiculous tho is how the new redesigned 2019 Bentley Continental Only comes with a reverse camera... 200 000 dollars, and doesnt even have an option for 360 camera... The car market is just ridiculous honestly... No matter what price range all cars lacks base tech thats been options for years on the last generation of those cars.

And im 19 lol, but i havent exactly grown up with inline 4 hybrids with loads of tech options:LOL:. Grown up with all american muscle cars haha. But at some point u just have to grow up and accept that V8`s and everything that has to do with ICE will die out. Which is why we got 3 toyota hybrids, still got the 82 firebird my dad has had since 93 tho lol.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Didn’t think they were still doing that. Standard equipment has gotten better here with the Germans. Yes, the US and Canada have a reverse camera law so all cars have it for 2019. Seems ridiculous on a smart or MINI but oh well.

20. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here the MINI`s is the ones that needs it the most... lol, they park like they dont understand what "parking lines" is... I wish EU was`nt so useless when it comes to cars... All theyve done is added taxes, thats it. Sometimes i really wish Norway was a state in the USA lol.