2018 PP+ dome light switch

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pbasch, Sep 12, 2021.

1. pbasch

pbasch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Lately, the dome light doesn't come on when I open the door. The switch is in the middle, flat position. When I touch the switch to check that it's not "off", the light goes on intermittently. I believe that's a sign that the switch has an intermittent. I'm going to the dealer for regular service at some point, so I was going to mention it, but if it's easy to remove the cover and spray some contact cleaner in there, I would do that. Maybe it would work... Is that an easy cover to remove? Or am I on the wrong track altogether?

EDIT -- should have mentioned, when I touch the switch (with the door open), the light goes on momentarily, but also, so does the rear light. That's why I suspect it's the switch rather than the bulb.

#1 pbasch, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'd start by replacing the bulb.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah, if the car is still under warranty, and you don't mind stopping by a dealer, then let them take care of them. If it is out of warranty, then that would be a different story. Then I would try to fix it DIY before taking it anywhere. If DIY, first check the voltage coming from the bulb socket when it's on and off. If it is coming on and off intermittently like the light, then yeah, there must be some discontinuity in the switch or wire. I have no idea how hard it can get, but if it is just a simple loose contact point of the bulb, then it may be fairly easy to fix?