1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prius C brake failure

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Janet Yantis, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Janet Yantis

Janet Yantis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    I
    Hello,
    Two weeks ago, today, my 2018 PriusC and I were hit hard from behind by a Ford truck. I ended up slamming into a shed, down a hill, and was only stopped by a tree which I hit. Here's the truly scary part: after being hit, I pushed on the brake peddle, but nothing slowed me down. I then veered into a shed hoping it would stop me, and again I pushed the brakes two more times, but I went down the hill.
    I am terrified now! What the hell happened? My car was totaled.
    I don't know what to do. No one seems interested in talking to me about this - both the insurance companies (the insurance company for the guy who hit he, as well as my insurance company) are only interested in paying the "totaled depreciated amount of the vehicle." How can I get someone to examine the braking system? The Prius C is in an Auto Auction yard...
    Janet

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure what the question is. obviously, the braking system was damaged by the impact.

you can file a complaint with the nhtsa, if you feel the car is defective.

glad you are okay (y)

dubit likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Hate to say it but I think the answer is "hire them directly and pay their day rates yourself."

You've apparently survived without injury and the vehicle was already declared a total loss that (eventually) you'll be made whole on.

Knowing what happened with the brakes is a matter of curiosity at this point.

Admittedly, I'm very curious too, but I can't see how a finding would change the result.