1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prius Four (new) vs 2019 Prius XLE AWD

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Gail2017, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Gail2017

Gail2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi
    I am trading my 2017 Prius Prime Advanced Plug in (I need 5 seats this has 4 )

I am torn between the 2018 Prius Four FWD new which has the 11 inch screen - navigation- sun roof ---all the extras..... and the 2019 Prius XLE AWD - which has the small screen no navigation - no sun roof........I can get the color I want sea glass pearl in the 2019 but the 2018 would be metalic grey (not my favorite but not bad ....... I have negotiated both deals to where they are the same price walking out the door.

the MSRP on the 2018 is about 3000 more than the 2019 but depreciation??

I would really appreciate any input :)

Thank you :)

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Since you live in Mass. I would say the 2019 for AWD during the snowy months.

Gail2017 likes this.
  3. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The ground clearance is going to stop these cars, not FWD only--especially with good snows--but the Four has one big issue I'd go out of my way to avoid, and this is as a Prime owner today:

The stupid touch screen.

I would go for the 2019 just to avoid it and have a shot at replacing the head unit with something more useful.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You'll win either way.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the touch screen not as useful as an older system with real buttons - but it's not that bad, I've not thrown anything at it in 3yrs of ownership.

Gail2017 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how often have you had traction trouble with the fwd prime?

Sezy likes this.
  6. Gail2017

Gail2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for your input .... I had trouble getting used to the touch screen but then began liking it. It's all the other options and then going to a 4.1 screen without navigation that I am wondering about - What color interior is your 2015 ? thank you !!

7. Gail2017

Gail2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No trouble I try to stay in LOL ....... so it's AWD -- or FWD with all the bells and whistles for the same money ... I can't believe there is no navigation in the 2019 XLE and ......
    Thank you for your help :)

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too, i think i'd go with the prius 4. all the best!(y)

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can wait, I read here that 2020 PRIME for North America (Canada for sure but presumably for US also?) is getting 5th seats. No improvement for the cargo space, but you may still be able to get the crazy deal you probably got on your PRIME. Will be less of loss trading in 2 years old PRIME for non-tax credit earning HV Prius.

10. thefranchise713

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My 18 Prius interior is black. I love it. Now, if I can just knock out ALL the white accents someday.... anyone got a steering wheel I can swap out? ;)

Re: FWD Prius traction problems, none yet, but also because this car hasn't seen a Buffalo winter yet--got it at the tail end. It'll have snows come the next one. But, I suspect at least a few days out of the year it will stay parked with the low ground clearance.

11. Gail2017

Gail2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for that information !!!! Unfortunately I am need to do this now :(

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you actually tried placing 5 people (that's what I'm assuming you are needing the 5th seat for) in regular Prius (AWD or not)? The rear seats in PRIUS is not that roomy to begin with. Having the middle seat available may not give you enough room you need for 5 people. If you really need 5 normal size people seat, I think there are some other choices of cars out there that would have similar if not better mpg as regular PRIUS. Have you considered Honda Clarity or Hyundai Ioniq for example as plug-in options? If you like Toyota, Camry Hybrid maybe another option.

13. Gail2017

Gail2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you so much - I began to do ride share for extra income .... the 5 passenger is a requirement .... unfortunately ..... do you think the Hyundai ionic retains its value as well as Toyota? .... I really need a hatchback ---- the Clarity is above my price range ....

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too soon to know, but probably close enough i would think. hunday's are pretty popular.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, hatchback is too useful to pass up. I was looking for a second car in our household. I priced a Clarity with Boston dealers. It was very affordable after taking the discount and tax credit. The price in MA would be close to 22-24K for the base model ($35K MSRP). But it is a sedan. On the end that was a deal breaker for me too. As for the Hyundai. I really do not have first hand experience with it, but my gut feeling would be everything being equal, Toyota will likely to retain better value. To confirm, I just checked 2018 PRIME Premium and 2018 Ioniq Plug-in Limited value comparison on KBB. Those two cars were around $30K MSRP when new in 2018. With everything else being the same, KBB does show ~$2K lower average trade-in value for Ioniq Limited. So it does prove my gut feeling.

prime vs ioniq.png

16. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had 5 in the car - regularly 4 children plus me, but have had 3 adults in the back, and they had more room than many other hatchbacks (Mazda 3 or Corolla). For a long distance, the Camry Hybrid might be a larger option, but sadly only SEDAN these days, no hatch or wagon any more.

Salamander_King likes this.
  17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, @Gail2017 said she needs 5 seaters for a "ride share for extra income". I think she means using the car for Urber which requires 5 seaters. I just don't know buying a new 5 seater Prius for that potential extra income is financially sound or not? Especially considering that she is planning to trade-in her PRIME Advanced purchased less than two years ago.

#17 Salamander_King, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  18. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you never had AWD before you probably would not miss it. Once people get AWD they usually don't want to go back to just front wheel drive.

Never buy a car you don't want, trust me you will regret it. Ask me how I know?:)

Gail2017 likes this.
  19. thefranchise713

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Haha! Truth right there! ^^^

I miss my AWD and it's not even winter.

20. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the Honda clarity, I read in their forum that it has some power loss issues, spare parts are slow to arrive, and that Honda may discontinue it soon.