1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 prius - right side rear door won't open

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alby_yaris, Sep 24, 2018.

1. alby_yaris

alby_yaris New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi guys, hopefully you can help me.

Sometimes when I go back to get the car in the parking lot and unlock it with Smart Key Entry, it won't open the right side rear door. It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally, but it does bother a little bit since the car is just 8 months old (it's a 2018 prius touring).

When it happens, I always pull out my remote control to manually press the unlock button and by doing so, it always works and immediately unlocks. Very weird... Do you know what that could be?

Thanks, Albert.

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    There's a setting for which doors to lock and unlock. I'd check that first. For safety reasons, since I am the only person that almost always gets in the car, I have it set to driver's door only unlock and unlock only on driver's door opening.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be a bad lock actuator, or a loose connection inside the door. is it under warranty?

4. alby_yaris

alby_yaris New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    @CooCooCaChoo You're right, there's a setting about it. At first, I really thought it could be the reason. But then, on second thought, I guess it is something else, because the problem occurs just occasionally, not every single time I unlock the car with Smart Entry System.

@bisco Yep. Under warranty, I bought it as a new car back in January 2018 (it took almost 3 months to get it from Japan).
    In Italy we have 3 yrs warranty for the vehicle, 5 yrs for hybrid components and 10 yrs for the HV battery.
    I'll definitely stop by the dealer when I get the chance.

#4 alby_yaris, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    bisco likes this.