1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Toyota Aqua / Prius C Japanese Import - Audio / Nav change Japanese to English ?

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by gnome73, Mar 20, 2023.

1. gnome73

gnome73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A

I have just ordered a 2018 Toyota Aqua / Prius C from Japan (Type S) and am wondering is it possible to change the Radio touch screen from Japanese to English? I have yet to receive the car.

I have watched some youtube videos and it appears to be possible via the settings but this applies to a certain type of radio that I dont know if I have that model?

Im living in New Zealand where the Aqua is very popular - Are the japanese import Aqua's able to have the language changed without having to take it to an expensive auto electrical company?

ALSO - If someone can point me in the direction of a 2018 Gen III Aqua manual in ENGLISH that would be greatly appreciated.!!

#1 gnome73, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We replaced our stereo because we didn't like it in any language. Turns out that stereo replacement is very easy in this model, so if there's something else out there with appealing features you shouldn't hesitate, it is money well spent.

The Toyota website has a downloadable form of the USA Prius c manual. The car is obviously not identical to your JDM version, but it will be close.

Congrats and good luck!

3. gnome73

gnome73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply

I searched but couldnt find anything regarding replacing the standard radio with an android audio touch panel - has anyone done this or is there a thread on it somewhere?

4. Hybrid noob

Hybrid noob New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A

Hi ,

Stereo replacement is extremely easy to do as long as your JDM is not eqipped with 'MCgard security ' . If it is standard stereo with no security screws you should be able to get toyota harness to iso connectors or similar for your new stereo. If your vehicle is equipped with mcgard bolts you need to hope that the previous owner left the socket to loosen those bolts or left the key code in the dashboard. Let us know how u go with the replacing your stereo.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    A little secret here: The Japanese written language, and Chinese written language is almost identical [only the spoken language is different]
    So make friends with some Chinese people [no shortage in Auckland] and you can get them to interpret the handbook as needed.

My Aqua has a Pioneer Carrozeria sound system [Japanese market only] and I added and hooked up a reverse camera to it.
    My wife is fluent in Chinese so she stepped me through all the settings to get this to work properly. [piece of cake]

There is a few Pakistan Prius youtube channels that will also guide you through things like this.

If you want to use the factory GPS navigator, you're sh it out of luck. It runs on a different system to NZ / Aust GPS
    It would be cheaper to get an aftermarket double din radio with GPS.

Or be like me , and use a $1-50 magnetic phone holder glued to the side of the radio surround [and my phone becomes a GPS]
    I'm from the generation with "homing pigeon" skills so I've only needed to use this twice

One thing that did come in handy was a twin port USB charger that fits into the square blanking plugs on the dash. mine is installed on the shelf above the glove box.
    My wife likes to take photos with her phone while "road tripping" so this keeps the phones charged

I used an aftermarket "Toyota" USB that fits in the factory blanks

upload_2023-4-12_12-8-44.png

what make and model stereo does your Aqua have fitted?

There are plenty of "fitting" kits available, and most Toyota radio harnesses from similar years swap over.
    You can buy cheap NZ compatible Toyota Radios [Take-outs] on "Trade-Me"

It all depends on your expectations of your Aqua............Mine is used for "no-hassle, jump-in and not worry about it transport"

#5 Kerrynzl, Apr 11, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  6. kndy

kndy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I've always had the same problem (but the other way around, as I have a Prius-C and listen to primarily Japanese and Korean music). I thought of changing the radio but I'm quite fine renaming my songs, helps me keep the 2GB limit on my old USB stick I suppose.