1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 AWDe collision avoidance system does not see Teslas

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by RebL, May 27, 2024.

1. RebL

RebL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car starts beeping about obstacles when I try to park in tall grass, and about side and rear obstacles when I back into my tiny garage. But at a stop sign, I hit a white Tesla in front of me while creeping out to see the traffic. The Prius did not make a sound. It didn't occur to me that I had no warning from the car until days later.

I was behind a blue Tesla at a stoplight recently, and on a whim thought I'd test if the car would warn me if I crept closer. Not a sound again. I tried behind a Jeep, and the Prius warned me I was too close (I assume neither car noticed, as neither one inched away from me, and no birds were flipped). Is "being behind a Tesla" one of the "certain conditions" in which the collision avoidance system does not work?
    It is entirely possible I didn't get as close to the Tesla as to the Jeep. I'll have to think about how many times I should try to attain statistical significance. I don't actually like getting too close to other cars.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL, stealth teslas cannot be detected :cool:

3. Robert21PrimeLTD

Robert21PrimeLTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My car used to beep when parking (front first) in my garage but it doesn't anymore. Not sure if i turned off the buzzer? The big BRAKE notice does appear if I get too close to the garage wall. The beeper works if I drift close to the lane markers while driving so I know that the beeper does sound.

Any suggestions? I've read thru the manual and searched the dash options but to no avail.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't think the system was able to work at "creep" speeds. No, I can't explain why it did happen to work behind a Jeep.