1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 Prius LE: Plastic shield under driver seat grinding on floor

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GLe90, Sep 1, 2022.

1. GLe90

GLe90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The front plastic under the drivers seat of my prius was ripped open today. I guess the piece was low enough to catch on something which effectively pulled it out. Before driving home from work I tried bending the piece back to avoid the grinding but it was unavoidable. During the drive back i could hear and feel the grinding against the floor.

When i got home, i cut the dragging plastic off as I wouldn't be able to get this looked at until next week and I can't bear driving to/from work and around the city with the piece grinding all week.

I did a little digging around the forums today and saw posts of the underbelly plastic parts used for aerodynamics, protecting the engine (i think for the front shield) but saw nothing for under the drivers seat. Would i need to get this replaced as soon as possible or is this small enough to disregard? The attached picture is when I got home.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tough to tell, can you get some better light under there?

it's not the oil change flap, is it?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Who’s doing your oil changes?

if it’s the main piece, not just the small panel at the oil pan, replacement could be pricey.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    See catalog Figure 58-01, Floor Pan & Lower Back Panel; click View More Images and then select the second illustration, which shows the Front Floor Cover LH, 58166-12040; three clips, 90467-07220; and two bolts, 90109-06388 (90109-A0061).
    It’s not an emergency, but I’d have the cover replaced: it’s not only for aerodynamics but also protects against road debris and water spray.

GLe90 and Doug McC like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe salvage if you can find it

6. GLe90

GLe90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Appreciate the feedback everyone! Attached is a closer picture i grabbed a couple minutes ago.

I've had my last complimentary service from Toyota in the beginning of March who did my oil change and everything for the past 2 years. I originally thought of going back to the service center to do a overall checkup and have them replace the part but it looks like MSRP is around $300 for the part alone excluding any form of markup or service to replace. Maybe it will be easier to buy the parts & pieces and take it to a nearby auto repair. Is there such a thing as getting a discount from the old replaced part? PXL_20220904_000523258.jpg PXL_20220904_000532944.jpg

bisco likes this.
  7. GLe90

GLe90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Unfortunately the part that was cut off was thrown away on trash day.

bisco likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The shield was almost certainly dragging due to their negligence.

GLe90 likes this.
  9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’d respectfully disagree. If the damaged part is indeed the cover “under the driver’s seat,” not one under the engine, it wouldn’t usually be removed for maintenance. The Repair Manual (more info) mentions removing the Front Floor Cover LH only when replacing the engine assembly, exhaust manifold, or frame wire.
    Several dealers offer the part online for $200 or so, but due to its size, the shipping cost might be high.
    Good idea; any shop with a vehicle lift should be able to replace the cover in a few minutes. The Repair Manual says the torque specification for the bolts is 7.5 N·m (66 in.-lb.).
    Not for a part like this, since the old one would just be discarded. So-called core charges—extra fees that are refunded when the old part is returned—are applied to parts that can be rebuilt or have substantial scrap value, or in some cases, to encourage recycling, as with lead-acid and HV batteries.

GLe90 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any time plastic is dangling, I’d try anything but “cutting off the dangling bits”. Better to just push it back up, use some kind of twist ties to secure it; it might be mendable. Might need a few surgical holes, but that’s not as damaging.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's quite a rupture. i can't tell where the seam is that came loose

12. GLe90

GLe90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Some good advice in case this happens in the future. Appreciate all the feedback and help! I'll start looking around for the parts mentioned. Hopefully one available locally as the first one has about $100 shipping. Thanks Again!!

bisco and Elektroingenieur like this.