1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 Rav 4 Hybrid reviews are coming in...

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Cyvan, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Cyvan

Cyvan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the styling and the MPG numbers seem good 41 City, 37 Highway, 39 Combined.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are those numbers official EPA rating for USA?

audiodave likes this.
  3. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  4. Cyvan

Cyvan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alex on Auto's should be forthcoming with those soon. But he did state that , based on previous outings with the Toyota hybrids he expects to exceed those results.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's fantastic. I have been looking at various iterations of SUVs for my next car purchase, but just could not pull trigger on any of them at current fuel efficiency. I set 40 mpg in city drive to be the minimal, so if true, new RAV4 will clear that test. I also love the fact the cargo space for new RAV4 hybrid does not suffer from slanted rear seats when folded like the current model. Large cargo with rear seats folded is another requirement for my purchase.

Cyvan likes this.
  6. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is the press release from Toyota: All-New 2019 Toyota RAV4 Breaks the Mold for the Segment It Created | Toyota USA Newsroom

Only $800 extra for the hybrid!

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  9. plainsnative87

plainsnative87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be interested if they are more comfortable than the 18 Camry Hybrid's, my LE's active safety headrest bends my neck awkwardly enough that I'm always playing with the seat controls to re-adjust. If the Rav 4's seats are more ergonomic who knows what could happen.

ETP likes this.
  10. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My wife says she doesn't like the cockpit layout and passenger seat on the 2019 on the lot. But this is a lot cheaper with more MPG than the Highlander when it ever comes out.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don’t need 7 seats or the extra power, the new RAV4h should fit the bill nicely. It has the latest electric AWD system that performs better than the old systems (more available power can go to the rear motor) and the latest HSD setup. 39mpg combined isn’t bad.

Of course the next gen HiHy will get these updates but if you’re looking for discounts, then the current HiHy will be attractive (as you mentioned in your new thread... $7k is a big discount)

ETP likes this.
  12. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  13. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Bought the Platinum Hybrid yesterday and traded my old 2011 Solar Prius with 109K in on it. I only got 6K for the trade, which was low, since the car was well taken care of. Got an additional 7K off sticker!
    Gave her one of my 2016 Tourings.

Needless to say the Highlander is a gas hog compared to the Prius. However it drives and feels like an old Cadillac with heavy duty suspension. Entry and exit is a dream with my feet and legs. If you are young, only buy a Prius or a Leaf.

Extremely luxurious SUV with real deal cow all over it. Oh the smell of tannic acid on dead skin in the morning, smells like luxury.

The wheel base is very close to the Prius wheel base but larger in every other area. 65% of parts made in Japan and the doors shut very well.
    The Prius is still more advanced in one area and that is parking assist. However the 360 camera with the fake news picture of the roof is awesome.

This is the car to fall asleep in, die in, and be buried in.

I wanted the 4 cyl Tacoma truck but my wife would not go for it even with free steps installed.

We could not compromise on a gas RAV4 MIJ. It gets around the same MPG and maybe a little more. Maybe! However there were no high end ones on the lot with leather or front parking assist.

Since the hybrid is a ways off and she would not accept the RAV4 I was cornered.

#13 ETP, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!! Well it's a good choice either way. At least you went hybrid. (If it makes you feel better, the HiHy's mpg is very close to the old XV Crosstrek Hybrid... and that's a compact car).

ETP likes this.
  15. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks,

Going on a short road trip to try out some stuff. I crawled under it and it appears to have an electric motor attached to the two rear independent axle assemblies and no main drive shaft that I can see.

Also the rear hatch glass can be opened independently and I ran the tire pressure up a little to 40.

#15 ETP, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it has electric AWD.

There’s a possibility that that feature is going away for the next gen so glad you enjoy that feature. It’s a nice feature when you’re in a tight spot or if you just need to throw something small or light into the back.

17. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ok, buttons all over the place. This is not laid out like a Prius. Constantly getting out of it and it is still running after I pushed the stop button.
    You have to manually put it in park and then push the off button. Dash and controls need a Prius engineer to lay it out properly.
    4 different buttons and counting to adjust parking assist.

This car could loose #500 without even breaking a sweat.
    But drives like a dream. At 150 first miles approaching 28MPG. MPG shock after 64MPG.

I am still interested in the 2019 Rav4 and Prius when they show up on the lot.