1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius Prime - Dead battery needs charging

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by YMS_1975, Dec 7, 2023.

1. YMS_1975

YMS_1975 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Hey everyone,

I have a 2020 Prius Prime. It's been sitting on my driveway for the past two weeks & now it won't start.

It gave me an error message on the screen advising I had a low 12 volt battery & to consult with the owners manual.

Anyways, I have a Schumacher SF-1275A battery charger, and just wanted to verify whether or not I should be on the 2A, 12A or 75A charge setting and whether or not I should select the "Conventional Battery" or "Maintenance Free" setting.

Please help!

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It's a conventional battery, use the 12A setting.
    Check the electrolyte levels using a loonie to remove the caps. None of the liquid should be below the plates inside. Top-off with distilled water to the bottom of the plastic tube, if needed.
    Charge for an hour or two, then disconnect and see if it starts.

Hope this helps....

FYI: the 75A setting is for jump-starting the car. DO NOT use this function, since the car will probably die as soon as you disconnect it. Best to simply recharge the battery and go from there. The high amperage across your aux. battery may damage your electronics (feed-back loop).

Doug McC likes this.