1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius Prime XLE, Apple CarPlay, Android phone, what features available ?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by GKL, Sep 6, 2019.

1. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Planning on getting a 2020 Prius Prime XLE but have an Android phone and was wondering what features I would be missing out on by not having an iPhone to connect to the Apple CarPlay and what features would still be available.

With an Android phone instead of an iPhone will Apple CarPlay be of any benefit to me at all ?

On the Toyota web site under multimedia features available with the 2020 Prius Prime XLE it lists the following:

Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation60 — 11.6-in. touch-screen with split-screen display, AM/FM cache radio, HD Radio™,57 ten speakers with amplifier, USB media port,83 two USB charge ports,83 advanced voice recognition,67 hands-free phone capability and music streaming78 via Bluetooth®78 wireless technology, Apple CarPlay®93 & Amazon Alexa88 compatible, HD Radio™57 Predictive Traffic and Doppler Weather overlay, SiriusXM®54 with 3-month All Access trial.47

Hopefully all those features (with the possible exception of some Apple CarPlay features) will be available with having an Android phone.

We just recently got new Android phones and don't want to switch to expensive iPhones just because of Apple CarPlay.

This might be way out in left field and not at all possible, but I was wondering if there was a simple work-around to using Apple CarPlay with an Android phone, like getting a cheap used iPhone without a sim card to hook up to the Prius Prime and then wirelessly tether it to my Android phone by using my Android phone as a hotspot connection ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'll get all those features except CarPlay, which actually puts your phone screen and controls on the 11" display. but most owners are saying it isn't that great.

and for the features you will get, don't count on them working reliably. some do better than others for unknown reasons. might just be electronic talent of the owner

GKL likes this.
  3. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, I've had times it took me a lot of research and trying stuff to get interactive electronics in my home to work right but then they'd usually keep working great after getting things fine tuned.

Since most owners say CarPlay isn't that great, maybe before too long Toyota will have a download to add Android Auto for those who use Android phones.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope so, it forever to get CarPlay

GKL likes this.
  5. Jazzmeup

Jazzmeup New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just paid a bit of money on the 2018 Prius Prime Advanced and my bad for not doing the research since I use mostly google products. Would not buy it again. Most be other hybrids out there where google is allowed on their navigation system. .

GKL likes this.
  6. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Seems Toyota does have Android Auto on some models, so if they are okay with using it at all then why not make it available on all their models ?

Here are some articles I found -

Why Adding Android Auto to 2020 Toyota RAV4 Makes Compelling Sense | Torque News

Toyota finally caves and announces cars with Android Auto compatibility - The Verge

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Economics, Marketing, Accounting... you don't play all your cards right away. That's how the automotive business works.

GKL likes this.
  8. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If that's their reason I sure hope they don't make us wait too long. :cautious: